Lecturer/Associate Professor in Media and Communication Studies
DEPARTMENT: Media and Communication
ACADEMIC DISCIPLINE: Communication Studies
POSITION TITLE: Lecturer/Associate Professor in Media and Communication Studies
LOCATION: SUZHOU CAMPUS
SALARY: Lecturer 5: 27,929-30,762RMB/month (with the opportunity to go to 34,219RMB/month based on future annual performance and evaluations after being in post)
Associate Professor: 34,738–37,469 RMB/month (with the opportunity to go to 41,063 RMB/month based on future annual performance and evaluations after being in post)
POSITION OPEN DATE: 1 August 2020
ADVERTISEMENT CLOSING DATE: 15 July 2020
JOB ID: 996195
CONTRACT TYPE: Full-time
UNIVERSITY AND DEPARTMENT OVERVIEW:
Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is a unique collaborative institution and the first joint-venture university in China to offer both UK (University of Liverpool) and Chinese (Ministry of Education) accredited undergraduate degrees for all programmes. Formed in 2006, the first cohort of students graduated in August 2010. The University now has almost 15,000 students studying on campus. The language of instruction is English. XJTLU aims to become truly research-led, and has recently committed significant investment into research development and the expansion of PhD student numbers on campus.
XJTLU is located in the Higher Education Town of Suzhou Industrial Park (SIP). Suzhou has been ranked the 74th most liveable city in the 2018 Global Liveability Index. Additionally, it is well-connected via nearby airports to cities such as Hong Kong, Seoul, Tokyo, and Taipei, and via high-speed rail to other major cities in China. SIP is a major growth zone, including operations run by nearly one-fifth of the Fortune 500 top global companies. Greater Suzhou is now the fourth largest concentration of economic activity in China in terms of GDP, and the SIP has a higher GDP per capita than the UK. The broader Suzhou area encompasses the spirit of both old and new in China, with the historic old town’s canals, UNESCO World Heritage Site gardens, and the I.M. Pei-designed Suzhou Museum attracting millions of tourists annually. SIP offers an excellent quality of life with high environmental standards. The nearby Jinji Lake provides attractive views, by day and by night, and there is a variety of shopping facilities, international and local restaurants, entertainment hubs and nightlife. Suzhou is also home to four international schools.
The Department of Media and Communication is home to a truly global team, with faculty from many countries around the world. The main teaching and research strengths of the Department span across Journalism, Film studies, Digital new media and Cultural studies. The cross-disciplinary approach to the study of media embraced by the team is informed by a range of disciplines, including philosophy, anthropology, sociology, political economy, management, economics, linguistics, legal studies and computer science.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Coordinate and deliver modules across communication, media and social science subject areas.
- Prepare content and lesson plans for module delivery.
- Curriculum development.
- Supervise and/or advise honours and postgraduate students in their research and course work.
- Contribute to the further development of the Department’s programmes, in particular the advancement of interdisciplinary teaching and research.
The successful applicant will have an active research profile that demonstrates expertise in media and communication studies.
- Applicants must have academic qualifications, including a completed PhD demonstrating expertise in media and communication studies.
- Experience within a university context delivering undergraduate and postgraduate courses.
- Evidence of research activity including a strong publication record.
- Planning and organization: the ability to anticipate events, identify desirable outcomes and achieve goals within a specified timeframe.
- The ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues and work cooperatively in the School.
- Knowledge of new developments in the fields of media and communication studies.
- Ability to develop module content in line with developing subject areas.
Members of Academic Staff are entitled to subsidies for accommodation, travel, and children’s educational, medical insurance, and a one-time relocation allowance is provided. Overseas staff may receive a tax “holiday,” depending on nationality and personal circumstances.
CITIZENSHIP AND VISA REGULATIONS:
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 65 may not be eligible for PRC work visa.
Please send your application to AcademicPositions@xjtlu.edu.cn. In the subject line write the Position you are applying for and quote the job ID number for reference.
Applications must be submitted in a single pdf file that includes 3 parts in the order of:
- A cover letter
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level
- Contact Details for Three References
Applications should be received by the closing date stated above.
Informal enquiries may be addressed to the Staff Management Team at AcademicPositions@xjtlu.edu.cn. Please quote the position and job ID in your enquiry.