FSRI Math Lecturer
Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
The FSRI Math Lecturer will lead the development, planning, and implementation of the four-week FSRI math course. The Lecturer will work closely with the Assistant Director, Workshop Leader, and other program staff to ensure that the course materials and content meet the standards of the Math Department and support the intent of the program.
- Lead the development of a four-week math course covering topics from Caltech math core courses.
- Develop course materials for Math 0 Transition to Mathematical Proofs and serve as instructor for Math 0 Moodle course.
- Supervise undergraduate teaching assistants/graders.
- Develop all course materials including lecture notes, problem sets, and workshop problems.
- Plan and deliver all lectures.
- Lead weekly math staff meetings and report any issues to the Program Coordinator.
- Design and administer exams and other assessments throughout the program.
- Collaborate with Workshop Leader to ensure students' understanding of the subject matter.
- Monitor students' academic progress and communicate concerns to the Assistant Director.
- Hold office hours and/or assign a math team member to cover office hours.
- Provide a final evaluation for each student at the end of the program that includes students' performance, strengths and weaknesses, and areas for improvement.
- Develop and implement math assessment of student participant and learning outcomes, including student grades, Math 0 performance, and general reporting of the Math program.
- Other duties as assigned.
- BS degree in math, science, or related field plus 5+ years of applicable work experience in an education and/or teaching environment.
- Proven expertise in developing and delivering course content materials and lectures to students.
- Effective oral and written communications skills.