Director of Alumni Community Development and Strategic Partnerships
5 days left
- Full Time
Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
The purpose of Advancement and Alumni Relations (AAR) is to foster a thriving and engaged community of connectedness and support for Caltech. By connecting the people who share and support Caltech’s mission and values, we will ensure the Institute receives the necessary resources to achieve Caltech’s aspirations and sustain its excellence in teaching, research, and scholarship in perpetuity. AAR team members embrace and uphold the values of diversity, integrity, respect, focus, and pride.
The Caltech Alumni Association celebrates the unique value and character of the Caltech experience and empowers the alumni community to thrive and connect with Caltech and each other. The Director of Alumni Community Development and Strategic Partnerships is an entrepreneurial self-starter who supports the work of the Caltech Alumni Association (CAA) and helps the CAA and Caltech sustain and deepen lifelong relationships with alumni.
This position reports directly to the Assistant Vice President, Alumni Relations and the Executive Director of the Caltech Alumni Association. The Director builds and leads a strong, engaged, and passionate team for the Caltech Alumni Association and Office of Alumni Relations in partnership with the AVP/ED. The Director serves as senior staff with the Director of Alumni Relations and Experiences and the Director of Alumni Content and Value Delivery. Requiring strategic management and a futurist view of the alumni-growth and development landscape, this position is responsible for fostering productive relationships with team members, colleagues, and campus partners, internally and organizations, corporations, and initiatives external to Caltech.
- Establish the CAA brand of innovation in the minds of Caltech alumni and strategic partners, in accordance with overall strategy of the CAA
- Facilitate innovative corporate programs and initiatives to advance alumni community growth, development, engagement, and advancement
- Understand alumni value propositions desired in the market, CAA capabilities and priorities and alumni community engagement needs of contemporary programs, content, and services
- Identify strategic partnerships that will help grow CAA’s business, interests, and influence in the global alumni marketplace
- Lead the development of proposals and negotiate external contractual relationships with strategic partners intended to generate revenue for the CAA
- Act as an influence manager leading cross functional projects necessary to fulfill the strategic plan for the office to include technology, risk, marketing, alumni products/services, etc.
- Work with pooled and dedicated resources to build out assets and content for the CAA innovation and strategic partnerships programing
- In coordination with strategic partners, plan and deliver alumni connections and value opportunities that include emerging players in the Greater Los Angeles Metro Area and the state
- Build and lead the execution and management of programs and initiatives that will generate in excess of $150K annually
- Proactively identify and solve complex problems that impact the management, relationship and direction of the CAA business
- Continuously review alumni market landscape and recommend, develop, and implement new and creative approaches that ensure the alumni’s personal, professional and intellectual needs are met as well as grow all facets of CAA’s operations
- As a member of the Alumni Relations/CAA management team, this position plays an integral role in the development of strategic plan documents and key objectives
- Directs the implementation of the community development plan for the revenue, alumni services, communications and aligned business partnerships
- Additionally, develops the operational plans to support the financial and strategic goals, analytics, forecasting outcomes, and developing contingency plans, as necessary, to meet alumni services, revenue, and communication goals
- Supervises alumni relations members. Hires, develops, evaluates, and manages the performance of staff, ensures staff is compliant with Caltech’s policies and procedures
- Participates in alumni relations experiences, regular board meetings, staff meetings, and represents the Alumni Association and institute across campus and in the alumni community
- Produces documents and reports, and other duties as assigned by the AVP
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience with seven or more years of direct experience in alumni relations, advancement, private or public business development, or sales
- Prior management/supervisory experience, with the ability to exercise leadership skills including diplomacy, confidentiality, and business acumen
- Database/CRM experience, with proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, etc.
- Strong communicator with excellent written and verbal skills
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and diplomacy with a proven experience developing deep, lasting relationships with volunteers
- Ability to work well under pressure and lead multiple short and long-term projects simultaneously
- Ability to work productively in complex organizations and on a team with multiple ongoing projects with differing priorities
- Available for some travel, evening and weekend work when required
- Demonstrate the ability to practice and adhere to organizational values
- Experience in higher education, in alumni relations and/or advancement
- An authentic curiosity about science and technology, a strong appreciation for the extraordinary intellectual accomplishments and challenges of Caltech students, alumni and faculty, and patience to learn the unique culture of Caltech