The Research Associate will be conducting extensive research on liberal education related research and related topics and the research will draw upon philosophy, literature, political science and education studies. The position will be responsible for reviewing and editing faculty draft articles and/or books. The Research Associate may be co-authoring articles and/or books with the faculty member, and other duties as assigned. The responsibilities noted in this Position Focus represent the specific duties and supersede the ones listed in the Principal Responsibilities section below.
This is a part-time six-month fixed duration position where there is a possibility to extend the term of the position. In the initial approximate 10 weeks of this position the faculty member anticipates the work being 20 hours per week. At that point the faculty will assess the status of the research to determine whether the weekly hours will change.
- Carries out research within the scope of the established study protocol. Adheres to all human subjects regulations as defined by Yale University and the federal government that pertain to research studies.
- Develops criteria for admission of study subjects based on goals and objectives of project.
- Determines potential sources of funding and prospective partnerships.
- Evaluates feasibility of accepting potential projects through analysis of staffing needs, resource requirements, financial costs, and current planned capacity of group. Negotiates contracts and/or changes with funder.
- Develops original HIC/IRB submissions. Based on knowledge of science and research goals, collaborates with PIs on major revisions and contributes to scientific protocols. Plans and implements changes.
- Develops forms, questionnaires and the application of research techniques; writes procedures manuals for data collection and coding.
- Responsible for the documentation and transmission of study data. Ensures that report forms are accurately documented and completed in a timely manner at each site location.
- Works independently to develop manage and organize multi site studies. Serves as primary coordinator between University, non-Yale collaborators, pharmaceutical companies, HIC, IRB and funding sources.
- Performs descriptive and multivariate statistical analyses of data, using computer software.
- Designs and implements quality control measures to ensure accurate collection and processing of data.
- Contributes in-depth, original thought and relevance to written reports and to the writing of abstracts and manuscripts.
Required Education and Experience
Master’s Degree in a related discipline and two years of experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Demonstrated experience conducting research on liberal education and higher education studies. Familiarity with research and debates on education topics.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Demonstrated experience writing and editing scholarly articles.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Experience with undergraduate education and working in a center for teaching and learning.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Demonstrated ability to work independently and prioritize projects.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
Ph.D. preferred. Experience working for a higher education institution.
Background Check Requirements
All candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle, DOT certification, drug testing and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent upon the successful completion of the background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Affirmative Action Statement:
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects people from sex discrimination in educational programs and activities at institutions that receive federal financial assistance. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to the University’s Title IX Coordinator, at TitleIX@yale.edu, or to the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 8th Floor, Five Post Office Square, Boston MA 02109-3921. Telephone: 617.289.0111, Fax: 617.289.0150, TDD: 800.877.8339, or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Yale University is a tobacco-free campus