EAP Lecturers: Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University
Institution: Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University
Job Type: Full-time, Fixed Term
Location: Suzhou, China
Located in Suzhou, China, Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is a young, dynamic and EMI University founded in 2006, and is a unique collaborative institution and first joint-venture university in China to offer both UK (University of Liverpool) and Chinese (Ministry of Education) accredited undergraduate degrees for all programmes. XJTLU also aims to become truly research-led and has committed significant investment into research development and the expansion of master’s and PhD student numbers on campus. The University has over 15,000 students.
At XJTLU, the English Language Centre (ELC) is a growing and dynamic centre with around 200 full-time teaching staff from a range of backgrounds, countries, and cultures. We are involved in teaching English for Academic Purposes (EAP) and ELC is especially proud to be the first institution outside the UK to be accredited by BALEAP. ELC staff enable and empower all our students through expert and semi-specialised language and skills training. They develop multiple academic literacies that bring degree study success and so are held in high esteem. Career development support and possibilities for EAP practitioners and scholars are excellent, not least because we are in a phase of exciting renewal and growth both as an institution and as a centre. Our future new campus at Taicang, and our new Learning Mall onsite-online ecosystem, are both emblematic of ongoing institutional developments. And the launch of a new School of Languages in September 2020 reflects our commitment to training multilingual graduates with superb academic and intercultural skills who will often move into transnational careers in an age shaped by the Fourth Industrial Revolution. We look forward to hearing from you.
ELC has several openings for suitably experienced, creative, and inspiring EAP lecturers. There are three levels to which we appoint: Tutor A, B, and C plus one further level reached by promotion, Tutor D. These titles will change in session 2020/21 with the term 'Tutor' replaced by 'Lecturer' to acknowledge that EAP contributions always reach beyond professional and general language teaching. Monthly before tax salaries typically range from RMB 16,937 to RMB 30,762 and beyond RMB 34,219 for those who are promoted to Tutor D. Many positions have late-August 2020 start dates, but some appointments may be made earlier pending candidates’ availability. Interviews are conducted on an ongoing basis.
- have a good standard of written and spoken English, as this is the working language of the university
- have minimum 2 years’ post-Master’s experience of teaching, assessing and/or developing materials for English for Academic Purposes courses within a HE context (e.g. on a foundation year level)
- possess a relevant Master’s (e.g. TESOL) with practical teaching component or a good class of Master’s (e.g. Applied Linguistics, Education) in addition to a language teaching qualification (e.g. DELTA or equivalent – please indicate the modules completed, CELTA, TESOL/TESL/TEFL, or PGCE + TESOL)
- be a Fellow or Senior Fellow, HEA
- can demonstrate a dynamic, current, and innovative engagement in one or more of the following areas:
- Technology Enhanced Language Learning (especially pedagogical uses of VR/AR/MR/AI/mobiles); a new Virtual Reality Language Learning Lab opens in September 2020
- Content and Language Integrated Learning
- All specialisms in EAP including: writing centre development and the provision of online and other forms of student engagement and academic support; communicative and task-based methodologies; syllabus and materials design; skills-oriented assessment; problem-based language learning [preferably with emotional intelligence development embedded]; the promotion of learner autonomy; self-access and self-diagnostic language learning
JOB SALARY & BENEFITS
Salary is commensurate with education, qualifications, and work experience. Academic staff are entitled to subsidies for accommodation, travel, children’s education and medical insurance. A one-time relocation allowance is also provided. Overseas staff may receive a tax “holiday,” depending on nationality and personal circumstances.
Employment at XJTLU is regulated by Chinese labour laws and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with respect to obtaining work permits and visas. NB: Candidates nearing 55 years of age may be not eligible for PRC work visa.
You may submit an application by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org; alternatively, you may apply online at https://www.xjtlu.edu.cn/en/about/job-opportunity/ (search ‘English Language Tutor’). In your e-mail, you should attach a single pdf file that includes 3 parts in the order of:
- A cover letter specifying your suitability for the role
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, highest degree level, and current/previous monthly salary (before tax)
- Contact details for three references
Informal enquiries may be addressed to English Language Centre Director Angela Xia (Ling.Xia@xjtlu.edu.cn) or Deputy Director Dan Cornish (Dan.Cornish@xjtlu.edu.cn). Use subject line “English Language Tutor Ad Informal Inquiry” and include where you found the ad e.g. Times Higher Education.
Closing Date: Open until all positions are filled