Executive Director, Office of Nursing Research
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
Job Profile Title
Job Description Summary
Reports directly to the Associate Dean for Research and Innovation, serves in a leadership role in the Office of Nursing Research.
Oversee and direct daily operations for the Office of Nursing Research working in collaboration with the Associate Dean for Research & Innovation; maintain current knowledge to oversee operational, financial, regulatory, compliance, risk management, human resource and research administration activities for the School of Nursing. Provide the Associate Dean with analysis and reporting of key research activity metrics for management oversight and decision support. Oversee the direction of the Biostatistics, Evaluation, Collaboration, Consultation & Analysis Lab (BECCA)*. Oversee and Manage 5 grant staff and one Executive Assistant, Oversee Director of Innovation and *Manager of Laboratory of Innovative and Translational Nursing Research Lab (LITNR). Utilize superb judgment to oversee and direct fiscal and human resource management for the office to ensure effective and efficient resource management; includes financial stewardship, staff supervision and team development as well as efficient workflow, prioritization and timely results. Develop effective partnerships with faculty, project managers and other grant holders. Facilitate teamwork to ensure a coordinated infrastructure for research. Analyze and ensure synergies across School to optimize resources, service and effectiveness of the research mission. Assist faculty with the pre and post award process as needed. Maintain knowledge of continually changing sponsor guidelines. Oversee the management of the electronic proposal submission process, budget and sponsored project activity and maintain current knowledge of complex processes, procedures and tools to expedite services when needed. Serve on various University committee meetings as needed.
Oversee and direct daily operations for the Office of Nursing Research working in collaboration with the Associate Dean for Research & Innovation; maintains current knowledge to oversee operational, financial, regulatory, compliance, risk management, human resource and research administration activities for the School of Nursing. Provide Associate Dean with analysis and reporting of key research activity metrics for management oversight and decision support.
- Develop and direct operational processes, policies and procedures to streamline and enhance the activities of research administration.
- Assist Associate Dean with measuring, analyzing and reporting key School research activities, and metrics for management oversight and decision support. Provide oversight direction and leadership for grant maintenance, renewal, and new grant acquisition successes through pre-award and post-award grant process improvement
- Maintain current knowledge of University policies and procedures for responsible conduct in research; ensure adherence to and compliance with applicable state, Federal and other government regulations, accreditation requirements and expectations of other regulatory agencies and funding sources; ensure adherence to manage risk for the school.
- Assist the Associate Dean to develop the evolving road map or plan to advance the research agenda for the School over the next five to ten years; understand faculty interests, build relationships and promote research opportunities.
- Oversee the development, implementation and maintenance of Standard Operating Procedures; adapt as needed
- Oversee and facilitate the ongoing development and evaluation of the information technology (IT) infrastructure needs to support the activities of ONR working in collaboration with ITS
- Act as liaison between Investigators, officials and others when needed.
- Develop and maintain effective inter-institutional relationships with external bodies important to the future success of nursing research
- Oversee and reconcile School and University level information to ensure accurate reporting; prepare high-level snapshot reports for management meetings.
- Administer special projects working in collaboration with the Associate Dean.
- Provide data to support decisions about the allocation and management of the space and facilities required to conduct, grow and support research activities including support for development of lab space.
- Analyze and provide research related information for benchmarking purposes working in collaboration with the business office.
- Administer and manage the Master Data Use Agreements between the University of Pennsylvania Health System, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine and the School of Nursing.
Fiscal and Human Resource Management- Utilize superb judgment to oversee and direct fiscal and human resource management for the office to ensure effective and efficient resource management; includes financial stewardship, staff supervision and team development as well as efficient workflow, prioritization and timely results
- Exercise superb judgment, manage efficient workflow, and effectively prioritizes work product in a high-pace environment.
- Communicate goals clearly, concisely, and professionally with all constituents and move teams forward to achieve goals within specified timeframe.
- Oversee preparation, monitoring and input of annual budget including projections of sources of revenue and expense for grant, gift, contract and internal funds.
- Implement and monitor approved operations budget, and in partnership with Associate Dean, achieves budgetary success on an annual basis.
- Oversee finances supporting research including the preparation of research budgets and monitoring of gift, grant and contract financial activities working in collaboration with key stakeholders
- In collaboration with the business office, oversee the operational payment structure, monitoring payments and billing as outlined in project contracts for all funded studies.
- Develop strategies to maximize research revenue and effectiveness working in collaboration with key players
- Supervise and manage administrative and support staff within the Office of Nursing Research including employment processes, performance management and evaluation, training and development and reward and recognition needs; meet regularly with individuals and the team.
- Maintain and demonstrate effective human resource management knowledge and best practices in keeping with Penn HR policies and procedures.
- Assist Associate Dean for Research & Innovation with evaluating, awarding and tracking requests for financial and other (e.g. development of posters) support for travel to research meetings, or support of speakers and other research related events
- Create an environment of engagement and teamwork; solicit input from a wide variety of people and functions; develop individuals and build a successful team.
Develop effective partnerships with faculty, project managers and other grant holders. Facilitate teamwork to ensure a coordinated infrastructure for research. Analyze and ensure synergies across School to optimize resources, service and effectiveness of the research mission.
- Build and maintain effective partnerships with faculty, staff and students; includes the development of ONR’s role to optimize collaboration and service for research.
- Oversee and manage integration of service with other areas to best leverage resources; includes the academic depts. and regular meetings with the business office, ITS, HR, the lab, central university research offices and others as appropriate, to ensure consistency and accuracy of information
- Leverage temporary research staff resources to optimize service.
- Actively participate in or lead relevant internal and external committees, and taskforces as assigned.
Project Management, Budgets and Compliance –Assist faculty with the pre and post award process as needed. Maintain knowledge of continually changing sponsor guidelines. Oversee the management of the electronic proposal submission process, budget and sponsored project activity and maintain current knowledge of complex processes, procedures and tools to expedite services when needed.
- Assist faculty with developing, submitting and managing SoN research grants as needed.
- Maintain knowledge of continually changing sponsor guideline from pre-award to closeout; manage timelines, track progress and ensure accuracy.
- Develop standard to complex budgets; ensure regulatory and administrative compliance with sponsor, School and University policies and procedures.
- Manage sponsored project activity and reporting for select faculty or as needed; ensure the accuracy and integrity of financial transactions in compliance with regulations
- Maintain knowledge of complex processes and continuing revisions and upgrades in all systems related to grant management.
- Facilitates continual quality improvement by ONR staff to provide efficient and timely service.
- Exercise resource stewardship and reports known or suspected irregularities to the senior business officer, the Comptroller and the Director of Internal Audit to ensure compliance with related policies and procedures.
Bachelor’s degree required, MS preferred with 10 years of progressively responsible experience in research administration in an academic environment, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Prior experience with federal contracts and a variety of granting agencies such as the National Institute of Health needed. Knowledge of laws, regulations and policies related to research compliance as well as regulations governing the protection of human subjects, animal welfare, conflicts of interest, environmental health and safety, intellectual property, research safety and other regulatory areas.
Demonstrated strength and integrity with leadership and management skills including building an effective team, utilizing sound judgment to develop initiatives and implement improvements to drive the underlying strategy with great success are needed. The successful candidate is service and results-oriented, thrives in a fast-paced complex business and compliance environment, has a strong business and financial acumen and excellent project management and organizational skills. Has the ability to read, analyze and interpret financial statements and reports; high degree of quantitative and mathematical skill; ability to collect, analyze and interpret data. Effective communication skills, both verbal and written, with a high level of solution-driven problem solving and the ability to build strong working partnerships both internally and externally is essential. This person is a system thinker, a collaborative team player and has demonstrated strong supervisory effectiveness with building a team, developing a positive work environment and the ability to handle multiple tasks and prioritize workflow for self and others. Solid MS Office, database and web skills needed. Prior experience writing queries, using the Data Warehouse, and understanding federal grant databases (e.g., Reporter) desired.
Required Materials: Cover Letter and Resume
Job Location - City, State
Department / School
School of Nursing
$108,411.00 - $205,981.00
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.