Procurement Officer, Contracts and Procurement Department
The Contracts and Procurement Department seeks an incumbent for the position of Procurement Officer to provide an efficient, accurate and timely Contracts and Purchasing Service for internal clients according to University policies and procedures. Focuses on vendor management. Ensures that each purchase is value for money and cost effective.
- Purchases a variety of goods and services for both Campuses from local and international sources in line with the University By-Laws.
- Materials procured range from: computers (hardware, software, consumables, accessories), audio video equipment, office equipment, office and classroom furniture, lab equipment, printing materials, stationery, text books, periodicals, vehicles, building materials and renovation services, rental of equipment/vehicles and maintaining the University Insurance Policies (Public Liability, Fire, Burglary and Vehicular), for both campuses.
- Interprets purchase requests, investigates supply sources and negotiates best terms and conditions in line with user specifications.
- Scrutinizes specifications carefully to ensure that they are generic in nature during enquiry preparation stage, and to advise or obtain clarification from end user when such anomalies appear.
- Solicits quotations in line with the purchasing method approved by the Director/line manager. Scrutinizes vendor quotations and prepares bid summaries as required. Makes recommendations where possible.
- Vets and benchmarks prices obtained through referring to historical data, web published prices, and/or checking with end users to compare budgeted and estimated costs with actual prices.
- Expedites orders to ensure that goods and services are delivered within contractual deadlines and ensures that end users are always kept advised of delivery situation.
- Liaises with vendors regarding discrepancies and damage reports to ensure correct replacement of materials in accordance with order specifications.
- Issues amendments in case of increase/decrease of quantities and cancellation of orders and always ensures accuracy of data.
- Ensures through liaison with end users that vendor invoices routed for payment approval, are not held up without reason.
- When requested by line manager, must be able to produce and place on record the complete history of a specific purchase, for presentation or audit purposes.
- Answers vendor and client queries as required.
- Prepares vendor tender documents complete with technical specifications, conditions, bill of quantities, date for opening envelopes, tender validity, terms of payment and guarantee, in line with the Director’s/line manager’s instructions.
- Monitors closing dates for tenders and ensures that tender opening sessions are held on the day of closing.
- Receives tender documents and prepares appropriate record in preparation of the tender opening session.
- Passes on all tenders with appropriate record to the tender opening committee.
- Forwards technical documents/catalogues to appointed Technical Committee for technical evaluation. Addresses clarifications arising from technical queries by evaluation teams.
- On receipt of technical evaluation from end user, opens Commercial envelopes and prepares the Bid Summary.
- On the advice of the Director/ line manager, prepares orders/fax of intent.
- Prepares blanket orders according to standards, procedures and University By-Laws.
- Collects Performance Bonds and Bank Guarantees and maintains their security through the Finance Department. Returns bonds to unsuccessful vendors as required.
- Monitors contractual delivery and completion deadlines and liaises with Contracts Specialist for any delays in contract delivery.
- Must be fully conversant with, and able to prepare and issue requests for quotations on the Tejari.com business to business exchange.
- Must be fully conversant with the Purchasing module of the Banner System and be able to process Purchase Requisitions and Purchase Orders in line with adopted procedures.
- Maintains confidentiality of purchasing information and does not disseminate information to any Party, unless authorized by the Director/line manager.
- Maintains a comprehensive knowledge of all procedures in the By-Laws and the University’s purchasing terms and conditions.
- Must be conversant with the Storekeeper’s functions to fill in duties when required to do so.
- Identify, mitigate and escalate procurement risks to enable the organization to meet its obligations and maximize business opportunities
- Maintain and update procurement records and generate reports on procurement and contract activity to meet organizational compliance requirements and provide access to procurement information
- Performs other related duties as assigned and needed.
- Must possess a Minimum of a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution and 2 years relevant professional experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience working in a similar role in a government or higher education institution will be highly preferred.
- Excellent computer skills required.
- Knowledge of purchasing procedures is preferred.
- Arabic/ English bilingual an asset.
The University’s benefits package is highly attractive, with competitive salaries free of tax in the U.A.E., Cash housing, a furniture allowance, annual vacation airline tickets for the employee and immediate family, educational subsidies for children and healthcare is provided to the employee and sponsored family members.
In addition to completing the online application form, attach a cover letter, a current CV, and the names and contact details of three professional references.
While we appreciate all applications, you will be contacted only if you are selected for an interview.