Research Fellow in Distributed Systems
- Play a pivotal role in conducting research in multiple areas: Cloud Computing and Edge/Fog computing, Internet of Things (IoT), resource management, and traffic modelling
- Full-time, fixed term 2 years opportunity based at RMIT City campus
- Report directly to Professor Zahir Tari, Discipline Director
- Remuneration at Academic Level B ($96,564 - $ 114,672) + 17% superannuation
RMIT is a multi-sector university of technology, design and enterprise with more than 91,000 students and 11,000 staff globally. RMIT offers postgraduate, undergraduate, vocational education and online programs to provide students with a variety of work-relevant pathways.
Our purpose is to offer life-changing experiences for our students and to help shape the world with research, innovation, teaching and industry engagement. With strong industry connections forged over 130 years, collaboration with industry remains integral to RMITs leadership in education, applied and innovative research, and to the development of highly skilled, globally focused graduates.
What unites us is our purpose and our values; they are at the heart of who we are, what we stand for, how we make decisions and connect with each other.
Imagination. Agility. Courage. Passion. Impact. Inclusion.
Our people make everything at the University possible. We encourage new approaches to work and learning, stimulating change to drive positive impact. RMIT exists to create transformative experiences for our students, getting them ready for life and work. You will be a part of a productive and collaborative team, who values working relationships and outcomes through open and inclusive planning, continuous information sharing and transparent work practices.
About the College
School of Science
The School of Science provides over 45 bachelor and postgraduate programs, and undertakes world class research across the disciplines of Biosciences and Food Technology, Chemistry and Environmental Science, Physics, Mathematical Sciences, Geospatial Sciences and Computer Science (Information Technology and Software Engineering).
One of RMIT's top-performing research schools, we deliver research that addresses the 'real life questions' essential to Australia's innovation agenda. Our high-quality teaching programs inspire students to pursue careers in a range of industries including biotechnology, health, materials technology, food, geospatial and surveying, environmental science, banking and commerce, as well as computing and IT roles and research and development across a wide range of areas. The School has staff, students and facilities on both the City and Bundoora campuses, has 300 staff, 450 higher degree research students, over 3800 coursework students and an annual budget of $140 million
Details relating to the School can be found at www.rmit.edu.au/about/our-education/academic-schools/science/
About You and the Role
As a Research Fellow in Distributed Systems you will:
- Work independently as well as collaboratively with the team in contributing to quality research publications in high impact journals and developing new research initiatives
- Contribute to preparing and submitting competitive research grant proposals (ARC Discovery/Linkage grants, Victorian industry grants)
- Collaborate with multidisciplinary researchers focusing on areas of Distributed Systems (e.g. Cloud, Edge/Fog, IoT
- Contribute your time to mentor, train & supervise Higher Degree Research students as part of your coursework teaching activities
You will have:
- Strong capabilities in programming, systems, mathematics, simulation, and machine learning are essential
- Emerging track record in producing and delivery high quality research outputs in high impact journals in the areas of Distributed Systems (e.g. Cloud, Edge/Fog, IoT) as well as strong industry linkages in securing competitive research funding and development of new research initiatives
- Capability to communicate and present research findings, concepts and knowledge with sound problem-solving and analytical skills
- Ability to manage and plan time effectively and efficiently to conduct innovative research independently and collaboratively across multi-disciplinary team, industry and government
- Possesses an excellent written and verbal communication skills with the passion and commitment to build strong relationships across all levels of professional staff within the organisation
- Ability to supervise and mentor graduate and undergraduate students
This position requires PhD in Computer Science or equivalent in relevant field.
Note: Appointment to this position is subject to passing a Working with Children check.
Bring your whole self to work
We are better for our diversity. When we listen to those who are different to us, or challenge us, we grow stronger together. When we feel like we belong, we can achieve so much more. We respect each other, embrace our differences and build a sense of belonging in our team and beyond.
Were proud to share with you some of our wins:
- RMIT University is an Athena SWAN member with Bronze Award accreditation and the College of Science, Engineering and Health is central to driving improvements in gender equality, diversity and inclusion, particularly in the Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics and Medicine (STEMM) disciplines.
- We are ranked #1 in the world for our efforts to reduce inequality in the Times Higher Education (THE) Impact Rankings 2020.
- RMIT University is placed 10th in overall Times Higher Education (THE) Impact Rankings 2020, rocketing up from 82nd place in 2019.
- We placed 11th in the 2019 Talent Board APAC Candidate Experience Awards.
- RMIT was placed 10th in the 2019 Randstad Employer Brand Research Awards, up five spots from 2018.
- We were named as an Employer of Choice for Gender Equality by the Workplace Gender Equality Agency in 2019.
- We achieved Gold Employer status for LGBTIQ inclusion in the Australian Workplace Equality Index (AWEI) in 2018 and now in 2019.
- We were recognised as a top five employer in 2018 for workplace accessibility with the Australian Network on Disability.
- The launch of our second Reconciliation Plan, Dhumbah Goorowa- a "commitment to share" - an important step in our reconciliation journey.
Please submit your updated resume and cover letter outlining your experience & achievements by clicking on the 'Apply now link. Please note that a separate response to Key Selection Criteria as stated on the Position Description is required. For further information about this position, please see Position Description below. For any enquiries, please contact Professor Zahir Tari at firstname.lastname@example.org using job reference number 585599.
Applications close Thursday 2nd July 2020.
We are also happy to make adjustments to the recruitment process for your accessibility requirements. Please contact us via your preferred type of communication: email TalentSupport@rmit.edu.au or call Kassie on +61399252442 with your request(s).
RMIT is an equal opportunity employer committed to being a child safe organisation. We are dedicated to attracting, retaining and developing our people regardless of gender identity, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability and age. Applications are encouraged from all sectors of the community and we strongly encourage applications from the Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander community.
Receive opportunities at RMIT directly to your inbox by subscribing here.