Life Science Research Professional 1
Stanford University is seeking a Life Science Research Professional 1 to perform basic functions and activities involved in defined research projects, and independently conduct and analyze experiments.
About the Department of Pathology:
Comprised of extraordinary faculty and staff, our mission is to improve the diagnosis, treatment and basic understanding of human disease. We accomplish this through our clinical services, research, and training the future leaders in pathology and related fields. A major focus of clinical research in the Department continues to be the correlation of patient outcome and treatment response with the surgical pathologic diagnosis of human cancers. Everything we do is to provide the highest quality of pathology diagnostic services to the patients for whom we passionately care.
About the Position:
A LSRP position is available in the Jaiswal Lab in the Department of Pathology at Stanford University. Our laboratory uses a range of molecular and cellular biology techniques to elucidate the molecular basis of aging-related hematologic disorders such as leukemia and chronic inflammation, as well as to develop novel therapies for these patients. We are looking for an enthusiastic, self-motivated individual who is highly organized and who possesses the social skills to interact with a wide range of clinical and scientific staff. The LSRP will be responsible for maintaining the mouse colony for the lab in addition to planning and executing mouse experiments and downstream applications. The LSRP will be involved in defined research projects and will be responsible for independently conducting experiments and analyzing data.
We welcome candidates who aspire to graduate/medical school. Ideally, he/she will be looking to further their career by learning and adopting new research skill-sets. A growth mindset and a willingness to take on challenging learning opportunities will be sought out traits.
In addition to comparable research compensations, candidates will have the opportunity to learn and to develop their C.V. or resume through research publications and presentations.
- Plan approach to experiments in support of research projects in lab and/or field based on knowledge of scientific theory.
- Independently conduct experiments; maintain detailed records of experiments and outcomes.
- Apply the theories and methods of a life science discipline to interpret and perform analyses of experiment results; offer suggestions regarding modifications to procedures and protocols in collaboration with senior researcher.
- Review literature on an ongoing basis to remain current with new procedures and apply learnings to related research.
- Contribute to publication of findings as needed. Participate in the preparation of written documents, including procedures, presentations, and proposals.
- Help with general lab maintenance as needed; maintain lab stock, manage chemical inventory and safety records, and provide general lab support as needed.
- Assist with orientation and training of new staff or students on lab procedures or techniques.
- A bachelor’s degree in biological sciences, immunology, bioengineering, molecular biology, or a related field.
- Previous experience working with laboratory mice, including surgery and colony management are desired but candidates that express aptitude and a desire to learn will be considered.
- Previous experience working in a wet lab research environment.
- Experience with techniques such as tissue culture, flow cytometry, and ELISA are desired but the ability to learn quickly and be detail oriented is more important.
- Knowledge of basic techniques in molecular biology and immunology.
- Strong analytical skills and excellent judgment.
- Ability to work under deadlines with general guidance is essential.
- Must be accurate, efficient, organized, have excellent record keeping abilities, ability to work with team members in a cooperative fashion, and have excellent communication skills.
- Experience with bioinformatics is a plus, but not required.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE (REQUIRED):
Bachelor's degree in related scientific field.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED):
- General understanding of scientific principles. Demonstrated performance to use knowledge and skills when needed.
- Demonstrated ability to apply theoretical knowledge of science principals to problem solve work.
- Ability to maintain detailed records of experiments and outcomes.
- General computer skills and ability to quickly learn and master computer programs, databases, and scientific applications.
- Ability to work under deadlines with general guidance.
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to accurately complete detailed work.
- Frequently stand, walk, twist, bend, stoop, squat, grasp lightly, use fine manipulation, grasp forcefully, perform desk-based computer tasks, use telephone, write by hand, lift, carry, push and pull objects weighing over 40 pounds.
- Occasionally sit, kneel, crawl, reach and work above shoulders, sort and file paperwork or parts.
- Rarely climb, scrub, sweep, mop, chop and mix or operate hand and foot controls.
- Must have correctible vision to perform duties of the job.
- Ability to bend, squat, kneel, stand, reach above shoulder level, and move on hard surfaces for up to eight hours.
- Ability to lift heavy objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to work in a dusty, dirty, and odorous environment.
- Position may require repetitive motion.
- May require working in close proximity to blood borne pathogens.
- May require work in an environment where animals are used for teaching and research.
- Position may at times require the employee to work with or be in areas where hazardous materials and/or infectious diseases are present.
- Employee must perform tasks that require the use of personal protective equipment, such as safety glasses and shoes, protective clothing and gloves, and possibly a respirator.
- May require extended or unusual work hours based on research requirements and business needs.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4945
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: E
- Requisition ID: 86216