Software Developer 3
Job Code: 4823
Job Grade: L
Dr. J. Michael Cherry’s group in the Department of Genetics at Stanford University is seeking a Software Developer 3 to serve as a full stack Web Developer for the ENCODE Data Coordination Center. Qualified candidates are expected to contribute to all phases of software development at ENCODE, including systems analysis, program design, development, optimization and implementation.
Applications to be supported include the ENCODE Data Portal (https://www.encodeproject.org) and ENCODE data analysis pipelines.
Our stack is Python (Pyramid), ReactJS, Elasticsearch, and Postgres developed using modern cloud-enabled, open-source best practices. The data analysis pipelines have been developed using Python/Docker/WDL and are usable on a variety of platforms.
Our open source organization is https://github.com/ENCODE-DCC/
- Propose, conceptualize, design, implement, and develop solutions for difficult and complex applications independently.
- Oversee testing, debugging, change control, and documentation for major projects.
- Supervise professional staff, as necessary, working on all phases of application development projects.
- Engage in long-term strategic planning.
- Define complex application development administration and programming standards.
- Oversee the support, maintenance, operation, and upgrades of applications.
- Troubleshoot and resolve complex technical problems.
- Review the physical design of existing systems for optimizing performance.
- Lead projects, as necessary, for special systems and application development in areas of complex problems.
- Work with other technical professionals to develop standards and implement best practices.
* - Other duties may also be assigned.
- Proven ability in creating and maintaining complex web applications
- Experience with Elasticsearch or Lucene
- Experience with JSON and RESTful services as data interchange format
- Substantial git expertise
- Significant UNIX experience
- Proven track record building maintainable software packages
- Experience with AWS and cloud deployment
- Experience with modern software testing practices and agile paradigms
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE (REQUIRED):
- Bachelor's degree and eight years of relevant experience, or a combination of education and relevant experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED):
- Ability to quickly learn and adapt to new technologies and programming tools.
- Demonstrated experience in designing, developing, testing, and deploying applications.
- Strong understanding of data design, architecture, relational databases, and data modeling.
- Thorough understanding of all aspects of software development life cycle and quality control practices.
- Ability to define and solve logical problems for highly technical applications.
- Strong communication skills with both technical and non-technical clients.
- Demonstrated experience leading activities on structured team development projects.
- Ability to select, adapt, and effectively use a variety of programming methods.
- Ability to recognize and recommend needed changes in user and/or operations procedures.
- Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks.
- Frequently sit, grasp lightly/fine manipulation.
- Occasionally stand/walk, writing by hand.
- Rarely use a telephone, lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh up to 10 pounds.
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
- May work extended hours, evening and weekends.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Employee Status: Regular
- Requisition ID: 82913