Advanced Technician (Research)
Durham University seeks to recruit an Advanced Technician (Research) in the Department of Biosciences. This position is part-time (17.5 hours per week) and fixed term until 31 October 2027 due to time-limited funding. The core responsibilites are:
- Act as more knowledgeable team member without responsibility for team members.
- Plan and organise own workload with or without involvement with project work streams.
- Resolve queries and requests for information and advice from academics, postgraduates and undergraduates and escalate more specialist and complex queries or issues to more experienced team members.
- Respond to stakeholder needs to deliver and shape an excellent stakeholder experience.
- Apply theory and practice, from academic and professional development and previous knowledge within a service team.
- Contribute to collaborative decision making within the team with service provision to deliver an excellent stakeholder experience in accordance with policy and procedures.
- Work collaboratively across the organisation and/or externally with colleagues and stakeholders to deliver a service.
- Provide guidance and advice to resolve problems and queries for a broad range of service users including academics, postgraduates and undergraduates
- Collaborate with team members and academics to implement service alterations, including develop/troubleshoot experimental procedures
- Organise and schedule resources, activities and events.
- Identify priorities and monitor processes and activities to ensure success.
- Provide more in-depth independent research and analysis activities within the role.
- Analyse work activities to ensure the effective and efficient use of capital and consumable equipment and resources.
- Provide demonstrations and instruction to others outside the team.
- Support the capture of business requirements from users and work with colleagues to translate these into recommendations for future service provision.
- Liaise with contacts and participate in networks and communities internally and possibly externally, contributing to effective collaborative working.
- Advise others and make recommendations into work processes and procedures for consideration by senior management to improve services.