Power Conversion Engineer
The Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory, a world-leading fusion energy research center under contract with the U. S. Department of Energy (DOE), invites applications for an Experimental Power Systems Engineer. Reporting to the Power Systems Group Leader, this position will provide electrical power engineering design, analysis and troubleshooting in support of PPPL’s research activities.
The role responsibilities include as many as possible of the following:
- Provide design support, analysis and troubleshooting for the experimental power systems consisting of medium voltage ac power distribution systems, multi-MW ac/dc thyristor converter systems, hardwired control systems, dc current measurement systems, protection systems and dc distribution (up to 6 kV).
- During experimental operations, assume the role of Power Conversion Engineer in Charge, acting as the point of contact for the power system including providing control inputs to the power converter and making operational decisions regarding the power system.
- the execution phase.
Education and Experience:
- BS Electrical Engineering. MS Electrical Engineering preferred.
- Minimum 6 years of relevant experience.
- Experience in the design and operation of high power electrical and electronic systems in an industrial or scientific research environment is preferred.
- Experience with power systems typical of fusion or similar experimental devices including ac distribution, ac/dc conversion, dc distribution, instrumentation & control, protection, and grounding is highly desirable.
- Experience using various commercial electrical engineering software tools. Experience with PSCAD is highly desirable.
- Ability to interface effectively with a wide range of scientific and technical personnel.
- Mostly office based
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Please be aware that the Department of Energy (DOE) prohibits DOE employees and contractors from participation in certain foreign government talent recruitment programs. All PPPL employees are required to disclose any participation in a foreign government talent recruitment program and may be required to withdraw from such programs to remain employed under the DOE Contract.