Under the direction of the Senior Finance Manager, the Financial Analyst role performs a variety of analytical and financial functions for the Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation. This role is responsible for but not limited to the following;
- Financial management of the operating budget, contracts, sponsored awards and shared service arrangements with YNHH
- Identifies risks, trends and develops analyses and reports that will inform and advise decision-making by department leadership.
- Produces ad-hoc projections and analysis for new and existing programs.
- Participates in the budget and year-end process.
- Ensures that the unit is compliant in all areas of fiscal and administrative responsibility.
- High level of customer service on all facets of financial management.
- Financial modeling and forecasting: Provides analysis to determine present and future financial performance. Organizes information from a variety of sources for use in analyzing future plans and forecasts. Collaborates with all levels of management, both internally and externally, to gather, analyze, summarize, prepare, and present recommendations regarding financial activities. Researches information to help resolve issues and make recommendations.
- Financial analysis and reporting: Analyzes information and creates accurate and timely reports. Ensures financial reporting meets the compliance needs of internal and external users. Extracts data from multiple sources.
- Financial methods and systems: Recommends methods to improve practices, processes and systems. Works with internal and external contacts to carry out department objectives. Provides a high level of service that cultivates and maintains strong working relationships and effectively communicates information; takes ownership and accountability for timeliness, accuracy and relationship management.
- Strategic Resource: Translates unit finance objectives into priorities. Reports financial issues and risks and makes recommendations. Contacts appropriate stakeholders to include in communications and approvals
- Compliance and risk management: Establishes, implements and/or maintains strong internal controls in areas of assigned responsibility to provide reasonable assurance of effective and appropriate resources use, accurate financial information, and adherence to contractual obligations and agreements, policies, procedures, and external regulatory requirements.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business, Economics or Finance and two years of related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Demonstrated application of financial, accounting and economic concepts.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Well-developed oral and written communication skills with the ability to adapt communication style to address the needs of individuals at all levels throughout the University.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Ability to create new and complex reports in excel, word or a similar program for tracking, analysis and communication of financial information.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills with a strong attention to detail.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Proven knowledge of analysis, financial concepts, modeling and budgeting and planning principles and processes.
Required Skill/Ability 5:
Ability to work independently, multitask, use good judgment, work under pressure and meet deadlines.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
Proven experience with Workday, Yale Budget Tool (YBT), Knowledge of University policies and procedures.
Weekend Hours Required?
Evening Hours Required?
Background Check Requirements
All candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle, DOT certification, drug testing and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent upon the successful completion of the background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Affirmative Action Statement:
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects people from sex discrimination in educational programs and activities at institutions that receive federal financial assistance. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to the University’s Title IX Coordinator, at TitleIX@yale.edu, or to the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 8th Floor, Five Post Office Square, Boston MA 02109-3921. Telephone: 617.289.0111, Fax: 617.289.0150, TDD: 800.877.8339, or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Yale University is a tobacco-free campus