Customer Service Assistant
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
Job Description Summary
Serving as the first point of contact for the PennCard Center, the incumbent provides courteous and professional customer service in a complex customer service environment to those needing assistance, information, and problem resolution; answers telephones and responds to inquiries; front-line customer service interactions with members and guests of the University, and produces identification cards (PennCards) for the University community. Perform hands-on work with computers, database systems, and digital-photo imaging equipment. Track customer service trends and support process improvement. Answers questions regarding policies, procedures, systems, and processes related to the University's ID card services and related system; interpret/ explain and implement policies. Assists with documentation of operational processes and procedures. Acts as administrative support to PennCard office by performing daily reconciliations of PennCard related revenue; processing PennCash refunds and donations; and processing mail-in and online requests for PennCard renewals. The position participates in and coordinates various projects with other departments that have special card production needs year-round, including the production and distribution of cards for summer and special programs, school-specific, first-year/new students, and other carding initiatives.
- Provide courteous & professional customer assistance (via telephone, email & in person) to those needing assistance, information & problem resolution.
- Answer calls & emails for the dept's main communication avenues in a timely & accurate manner. Evaluate customer questions & troubleshoot, triaging requests.
- Undertake independent follow up with customer to explain/resolve. Monitor customer service issue patterns & contribute to process improvement.
- Assist with coordinating various projects with other departments that have special card production needs year-round, production and distribution of cards for summer and special programs, Campus Express and online renewal requests.
- Produce PennCards for the university community, provide ancillary services (passport photos, stamps, PennCash deposits, etc.); access and enter confidential information records pertaining to PennCard issuance in accordance with established policies and procedures; perform hands-on work with computers, database systems and digital photo imaging equipment. Understand linkages between systems & their impact on customer service & access.
- Perform general office duties (mail, supplies, general office organization).
- Act as administrative support to the PennCard office by reviewing & processing PennCash refunds/donations, daily reconciliations of PennCard revenue, and PennCard mail-in requests. Explain & educate customers about relevant PennCard policies, decisions & processes.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- A High school diploma or equivalent and 1 to 2 years of progressive customer service experience, preferably in an academic setting, or equivalent combination of education and experience, are required.
- Associate's degree and 1 to 2 years of experience preferred.
- Post college training in customer service, banking or similar preferred.
- Knowledge of desktop computing required.
- Demonstrated experience using database software & strong aptitude for learning technical systems & and software applications required.
- Ability to comprehend the source data imports & work flow between systems that populate our databases.
- Strong interpersonal skills, flexibility, and customer service orientation.
- Must be well-organized & have the ability to prioritize tasks, & work with limited supervision.
- Ability to resolve difficult or stressful customer service issues, including the ability to troubleshoot & reconcile data discrepancies.
- Ability to provide professional customer service & commitment to working in a team environment essential.
- Familiarity & experience in Penn's BEN financial systems or similar preferred.
- Some overtime, weekend & evening hours, particularly at the start of each semester or during other peak customer service periods may be required.
Job Location - City, State
Department / School
$17.58 - $31.65
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.