Lecturer in Mathematics
3 days left
- Full Time
School of Mathematics
Location: University of Birmingham,Birmingham UK and Jinan University, Guangzhou, China
Full time salary £41,526 - £77,108 (Lecturer full time salary is in the range £41,526 to £49,553. With potential progression to £55,750 a year). (Senior Lecturer/Reader full time salary is in the range £51,034 to £59,135. With potential progression to £77,108 a year)
Grade 8 (lecturer) 9 (senior lecturer)
In a major strategic initiative, the University of Birmingham in collaboration with Jinan University, Guangzhou, China, has set up a Joint Institute for Teaching and Research, located on Jinan University’s southern Panyu Campus in Guangzhou. The Institute, which took its first undergraduate intake in September 2017, delivers joint degree programmes in mathematics, attracting high quality undergraduate students from across China. These programmes are taught in English at the Joint Institute in Guangzhou, with the mathematics component being delivered by staff based at the University of Birmingham. We are looking for applicants with the ability to develop and deliver high quality modules into these programmes. The successful candidate will contribute substantially to maintaining and enhancing the School’s high standards in both teaching and research (teaching only in the case of teaching focused appointments). The post holder will be based in the School of Mathematics in Birmingham and will typically be expected to make two trips to Guangzhou per year, each of one month’s duration, to deliver intensively taught modules.
Candidates working in any area of mathematics/statistics may apply. We encourage applications from candidates working in theoretical/applied statistics, medical statistics, econometrics, stochastic modelling, financial mathematics or data science and machine learning.
We will consider applicants seeking a teaching-focused appointment.
The successful applicant will be appointed to a lectureship or senior lectureship depending on experience
Main duties include:
- Pursue personal research including developing research ideas and winning support, including financial support
- Publish leading research that results in a sustained, highly respected reputation of international quality
- Lead successful funding bids which develop and sustain research support for the specialist area*
- Teach and develop courses at a range of levels
- Undertake and develop the full range of responsibilities in relation to supervision
- Lead the development of new and appropriate approaches to learning and teaching. This may be underpinned by research and evaluation of teaching methods and systems.*
- Contribute to the development of teaching and learning policy, methods and standards, more widely than the School*
- A higher degree in statistics, mathematics or a related subject; or equivalent
- Demonstrable excellence in the design, delivery and management of teaching and learning at the highest level
- Extensive scholarship within subject specialism and proven ability to manage research
- High peer esteem evidenced by an excellent reputation in the UK/internationally, reflected in sustained high quality output, level of innovation and impact on subject
- An excellent record of peer reviewed research publications*
- High national reputation for the development of teaching excellence
The successful candidate will be subject to an enhanced DBS check
Your application should include:
- a numbered list of all publications indicating your best four publications over the last six years;
- a list of all of teaching experience (including the subject, level of student, class size and your role in the class).
Closing date: 8/7/2020
To submit an electronic application online please click on the Apply Online button.