UNE/Armidale Regional Council Postdoctoral Research Fellowship
- Fixed Term – Full time from 1 August2020 – 31 July 2023
- $68,004 - $91,857 per annum (Level A)
- Plus 17% employer superannuation. Salary packaging options are available.
- Must be based at UNE Armidale for the duration of the Fellowship
- Applicants must have ongoing full time work rights (UNE will not provide sponsorship for this position)
The University of New England in Armidale, Australia is a unique university, in the enviable position of boasting an excellent international reputation as well as being a leader in research and academic innovation. We aim to foster a constructive and engaged culture where creative ideas and innovation thrive.
Research Services facilitates and supports the University’s research effort through the provision of high quality administrative services and support to manage, develop and promote research, research training, knowledge exchange and innovation.
About the role
The Armidale Regional Council (ARC) in partnership with the University of New England (UNE) have jointly developed an initiative titled Project Zero30. The goal of Project Zero30 is to move the Armidale Local Government Area to net zero carbon emissions by 2030. In doing so, the Armidale Local Government Area will achieve the Federal Government’s Climate Active Carbon Neutral Standard certification.Project Zero30 is a unique opportunity to leverage the combined networks of UNE and ARC in identifying, developing and implementing climate mitigation and adaptation activities, informed through research-led innovation that can be only achieved by community successfully working with its civic university. The open and transparent nature of Project Zero30 will provide communication pathways to ensure other communities can progressively adopt rather than wait for completion of the project to benefit from its research and innovation.
As a key part of Project Zero30 the ARC and UNE are seeking to appoint a Postdoctoral Research Fellow (PRF). The PRF will undertake the Armidale Local Government Area baseline measurement activityfor the development of the carbon emissions audit and will conduct research in climate mitigation and adaption initiatives that will assist Project Zero30 to achieve its goal.
This is a unique opportunity for a PRF to work with community, business and the agriculture sector to develop a clear understanding of the needs and expectations of a regional/rural local government area in managing climate adaptation and mitigation.
Skills & Experience
ARC and UNE are seeking someone with research experience in either, local government, community organisations and/or the lay public. The successful applicant will also hold a PhD qualification relevant to the position and have experience in modelling and data collection and analysis.
Excellent interpersonal, written, oral and social media skills, along with excellent organisational skills are essential.
Specific Duties will include, but not limited to:
- Collection and analysis of a range of relevant data sets;
- Development of the Armidale Local Government Area carbon account;
- Review of relevant national and international literature;
- Liaison with relevant government and non-government agencies and actors;
- Production of interim reports and presentations for the supervisory team, the project partners and the wider community;
- Community research into actions that will enable behavioural and social change around, inter alia, energy and natural resource use; and
- Research into appropriate mitigation and adaptation strategies for adoption by the community, agriculture and industry.
Informal enquiries may be directed to Head of Department, Geography and Planning - Professor Neil Argent, phone: (02) 6773 2803 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Living in Armidale you will experience the best of both city and rural living. Enjoy a healthy and active lifestyle with access to shopping, gourmet food, top sporting facilities and cultural delights all for a fraction of the price you’d expect to pay in a major city. You can live in the heart of Armidale or experience the tranquillity of the New England on a rural property.
To find out more, visit: www.armidaleregion.com.au
Reference No: 220047
Extended Closing Date: Monday 22nd June 2020 (Midnight)
To submit an application:
- Please refer to the position information booklet for this position
- Submit your application by selecting the ‘apply now’ button at the bottom of the advertisement and attach your application as a combined PDF document comprising:
- your curriculum vitae
- a statement describing your experience relevant to the duties and selection criteria for the position
- include the names and addresses of three referees
Equity principles underpin all UNE policies and procedures. As a University committed to engaging a diverse workforce, UNE encourages Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to apply.