Assistant CIO, Support Services
(IT Technical Manager 3)
Job Family: Information Technology Services
Job Series: IT Technical Manager
Job Code: 4807
Effective/Revision Date: 07/02/2016
Note: Not all unique aspects of the job are covered by this job description
ABOUT STANFORD UNIVERSITY AND RESIDENTIAL & DINING ENTERPRISES:
Founded in 1891, Stanford University is among the top academic institutions in the country, excelling in a wide range of fields from the humanities to information technology to the health sciences and medicine. The university is located near Palo Alto, 35 miles south of San Francisco, on an 8,800-acre campus.
Residential & Dining Enterprises (R&DE), the largest auxiliary organization at Stanford University, supports the academic mission of the University by providing the highest quality services to students and other members of the university community. R&DE has an annual operating budget of over $270 million, oversees a 5 million sq. ft. physical plant across the campus, and provides housing for over 13,000 students and dependents, serves over 18,000 daily meals at 30 dining and retail locations and over 300,000 meals at Athletic Concessions events, and hosts 20,000 conference guests annually. Additionally, R&DE is comprised in the following divisions: the Office of the Senior Associate Vice Provost, Student Housing, Stanford Dining, Stanford Hospitality & Auxiliaries, Stanford Conferences, and a team of R&DE strategic business partners: Finance & Administration, Human Resources, Information Technology, Marketing and Communications, and Maintenance Operations and Capital Projects.
R&DE Information Technology consists of 26 full and part-time staff. The division is organized into six teams: CIO Office, Portfolio and Project Management Office, Software Development, Support Services, Information Security, and Systems & Operations Administration. R&DE IT supports over 65 major applications and integrations, 2,200 technology assets, and 900+ users. In addition to providing excellence, R&DE IT is dedicated to the mission and core values of Residential & Dining Enterprises.
Reporting to the Chief Information Officer, this position is responsible for the strategic direction and management of the Support Services team. The Support Service leader manages a team of nine support professionals that provide ongoing support for operations, and to troubleshoot and resolve IT issues. This position must provide advanced and diversified management in a confidential nature while supporting the goals and objectives of R&DE. The incumbent must provide managerial guidance to team members, provide specialized knowledge and expertise in support of a large variety of end-point devices. S/he must anticipate needs and proactively solve problems and independently handle issues. S/he works closely with all teams including the Portfolio and Project Management Office team in effectively evaluating the on-going support and training needs for the R&DE technical portfolio. The incumbent is also considered to be a “working manager” who assists their team in carrying out everyday tasks associated with end user support, communications and training in support of R&DE.
The Support Services team is comprised of three core support areas: Desktop and Application support; Point of Sale (PoS) and Internet of Things (IoT) support; and Audio/Visual (A/V) and Digital Signage support. Each team is focused on the providing the following support:
R&DE’s Desktop and Application team is responsible for the incident and request fulfillment related to desktops, laptops, mobile devices, printers, software, software licensing management, and front-line support for the application portfolio including but not limited to Star Rez, Eatec, Reserve, Tririga, Emma, etc.
R&DE’s Point of Sale (PoS) and Internet of Things (IoT) team provides support with the incident and request fulfillment related to break fix with Revel iPads, receipt printers, customer PoS displays, Kronos time clocks, Smart Temp thermometers, Lean Path, Ingenico card readers, and emerging technologies like robotics.
The A/V and digital signage team supports R&DE’s 3 conference centers, 30 conference rooms, and 3 athletic concession venues with on-site delivery, set up, operation, maintenance and troubleshooting of equipment related to A/V. R&DE’s conference centers are equipped with state-of-the-art audio/visual equipment including high definition laser projection, sound boards, wireless microphones and capturing capabilities for various types of high profile events ranging from boardroom meetings to banquets and receptions.
“Students (Customers) First” is the mantra of R&DE and our strategic goals reflect our commitment to delivering quality and excellence to our constituents every day. In R&DE, “Excellence is defined by aligning our strategic goals and performance with our vision.”
Execute substantial technical and managerial efforts within a large department or with university-wide focus. Exercise major programmatic impact on and/or manage very large research functions.
- Manage a high demand/high volume technology support environment that involves both call center and helpdesk support activities such as hardware configurations and deployments as well as application support.
- Lead and manage technical help desk staff responsible for the technical support needs in R&DE; participates in the development and designs of complex systems and integrations to support client requirements, from definition phase through implementation; provide strategic and technical direction for one or more technical areas.
- Provide expert level, hands-on, architecture, design, and development services for complex and/or sensitive technical desktop infrastructures either as a primary resource or as a backup for other staff. Identify, clarify and resolve technical issues within own area; often serve as the initial managerial escalation point for problems from clients and other staff.
- Contribute to the strengthening and continuous improvement of the Support Services team including the information security posture of the organization.
- Support a geographically diverse client base serving both on-campus and off-campus locations including high profile audio/visual events.
- Participates and contributes in the evaluation of new and emerging technologies including development and implementation of prototypes when applicable.
- Create and execute business and technical plans and revise as appropriate to meet changing needs and requirements.
- Create procedures and guidelines to ensure compliance with university policy and federal and state regulations.
- Evaluate and assess metrics and program effectiveness; review trends and monitor proactively. Determine service level objectives based on support requirements, author related policies and procedures and use metrics based management strategies.
- Establish and manage financials for a program, project, organization, and/or facilities.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the organizational structure and programs to ensure success, development of employees, and appropriate use of staff resources.
- Lead, hire, coach, and evaluate performance of staff including student employees.
* - Other duties may also be assigned
Education & Experience:
Bachelor's degree and eight years of increasingly technical work experience, or a combination of education and relevant experience. Higher Education experience a plus.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Detailed understanding of end user support methodology.
- Must have working experience building support assessment tools and measuring support team performance against those goals.
- Detailed understanding of relevant business and technical knowledge.
- Ability to resolve issues quickly and make decisions that meet university objectives, in a collaborative culture.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, motivate, and develop staff.
- Exceptional customer relationship skills, consensus building skills, and ability to establish effective working relationships in a diverse environment.
- Experience with ServiceNow, desktop imaging technologies, Windows and Mac operating systems, Linux distributions, physical and logical networks, Active Directory, enterprise database management, information security, desktop and endpoint management, and Point-of-Sale and PCI environments.
- Demonstrated experience and training with IT Service Management best practices and methodologies.
Certifications and Licenses:
- ITIL V3 Foundations preferred
- Help Desk International or similar preferred
- Information security training and/or certification preferred
- Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks, grasp lightly/fine manipulation.
- Frequently sitting.
- Frequently stand/walk, twist/ben/stoop/squat, reach/work above shoulders, sort/file paperwork or parts, lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh up to 10 pounds
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job.
- May work extended hours, evenings and weekends.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification and are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4807
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: M
- Requisition ID: 84669