Associate Professor/Lecturer in Bioinformatics
DEPARTMENT: Biological Sciences
ACADEMIC DISCIPLINE: The successful applicant will work in the area of Bioinformatics or a related discipline
POSITION TITLE: Associate Professor/Lecturer in Bioinformatics
LOCATION: Suzhou campus
Lecturer: 27,929-30,762RMB/month (with the opportunity to go to 34,219RMB/month based on future annual performance and evaluations after being in post)
Associate Professor: 34,738–37,469 RMB/month (with the opportunity to go to 41,063 RMB/month based on future annual performance and evaluations after being in post)
POSITION OPEN DATE: 1st September 2020
ADVERTISEMENT CLOSING DATE: 31st August 2020
JOB ID: 996180
CONTRACT TYPE: Full time
UNIVERSITY AND DEPARTMENT OVERVIEW:
Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is a unique collaborative institution and the first joint-venture university in China to offer both UK (University of Liverpool) and Chinese (Ministry of Education) accredited undergraduate degrees for all programmes. Formed in 2006, the first cohort of students graduated in August 2010. The University now has over 15,000 students studying on campus. The language of instruction is English. XJTLU aims to become truly research-led, and has recently committed significant investment into research development and the expansion of PhD student numbers on campus.
XJTLU is located in the Science and Education Innovation District of Suzhou Industrial Park (SIP). Suzhou has been ranked the most liveable city in China in the 2018 Global Liveability Index (and is ranked 74th in the world). Additionally, it is well connected via nearby airports to cities such as Hong Kong, Seoul, Tokyo, and Taipei, and via high-speed rail to other major cities in China. SIP is a major growth zone, including operations run by nearly one-fifth of the Fortune 500 top global companies. Greater Suzhou is now the fourth largest concentration of economic activity in China in terms of GDP, and the SIP has a higher GDP per capita than the UK. The broader Suzhou area encompasses the spirit of both old and new in China, with the historic old town’s waterways, UNESCO World Heritage Site gardens, and the I.M. Pei-designed Suzhou Museum attracting thousands of tourists annually. SIP offers an excellent quality of life with high environmental standards. The nearby Jinji Lake provides attractive views, by day and by night, and there is a variety of shopping facilities, international and local restaurants, entertainment hubs and nightlife. Suzhou is also home to four international schools.
The Department of Biological Sciences focuses on molecular bioscience and has recruited faculty from globally distinguished institutions working in this discipline. Although relatively young, the Department is already establishing a solid reputation, as indicated by the growing number of grant awards to its staff (e.g. from the National Natural Science Foundation of China) and national and international research collaborations (e.g. with Novartis and Unilever plc). It has state-of-the-art instrumentation housed in custom-built labs, and with excellent technical support. Staff also benefit from the fact that Suzhou is a ‘hot-spot’ for biotechnology and biomedical science – Cold Spring Harbor Asia (http://www.csh-asia.org/index.html) is located within walking distance and there are over 500 biotechnology companies in BioBay (http://en.biobay.com.cn/main/index.asp). Current research areas include: bioinformatics, cancer biology, cell signalling, genomics, molecular microbiology, neuroscience, proteomics, and virology. The Department currently offers undergraduate, and PhD degree programme in both biological sciences and bioinformatics as well as master’s programme in biomolecular science.
For more information:
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- To teach undergraduate and graduate students
- To maintain active research and research funding
- To carry out various administrative duties (e.g. Research Officer, Lab Safety Officer, and Examination Officer)
- To supervise graduate students and support teaching and research staff
- Effective communication skills; fluent in written and spoken English
- Adaptability and flexibility
- Professionalism and work ethic
- Interpersonal abilities to manage a research team
- Positive attitude and energy
- Diversity / Sensitivity
- The successful applicant will have a PhD degree in Bioinformatics, Biochemistry, Genetics, Computational Biology, or a related discipline and should demonstrate appropriate teaching experience and evidence of the ability to produce high quality research publications. Specific research areas of interest for this position include but are not limited to medical/health/clinical informatics, genomics and systems biology including sequence analysis, network topology, structural modelling, phylogenetics, gene expression, evolution, population genetics, and microbiomics. Analysis of other datasets such as genomics, proteomics, metabolomics, transcriptomics, epigenomics, etc. and experience of developing and applying machine learning, mathematical & statistical theory, models, techniques and other analytical methods as appropriate to the field of research are also of interest.
- Candidates for the position of Associate Professor should also have a strong track record in teaching and academic supervision, as well as an international research profile in their fields and a successful record of research funding.
- Candidates with teaching and research interests in Genetics/Genomics, Immunology, Chemical Biology or Metabolomics are particularly encouraged to apply.
In addition to the base salary, members of Academic Staff are entitled to subsidies for accommodation, travel, children’s education, medical insurance, and a one-time relocation allowance is provided. Overseas staff may receive a tax “holiday,” depending on nationality and personal circumstances.
CITIZENSHIP AND VISA REGULATIONS:
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 65 may be not eligible for a work visa from the PRC.
Please send your application to AcademicPositions@xjtlu.edu.cn. In the subject line, state the Position you are applying for and quote the job ID number (996180) for reference.
Applications must be submitted in a single pdf file that includes the following three parts in the order:
- A cover letter
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level
- Contact details for three referees
Applications should be received by the closing date stated above.
Informal enquiries may be addressed to the Head of Department, Prof Mu Wang, at Mu.Wang@xjtlu.edu.cn . Please quote the position and job ID in your enquiry.