Research Fellow, Vehicle and Sensor Modelling
- RMIT City Campus
- Academic Level B + 17% Super
- Full-Time, Fixed term to December 2021
RMIT is a multi-sector university of technology, design and enterprise with more than 91,000 students and 11,000 staff globally. RMIT offers postgraduate, undergraduate, vocational education and online programs to provide students with a variety of work-relevant pathways.
Our Values inspire us, wherever we are in the world, and guide how we live and work together.
About the role /College
The School of Engineering comprises a diverse range of disciplines: Aerospace Engineering & Aviation; Chemical & Environmental Engineering; Civil & Infrastructure Engineering; Electrical & Biomedical Engineering; Electronic & Telecommunication Engineering; Manufacturing, Materials & Mechatronic Engineering; Mechanical & Automotive Engineering.
As a Research Fellow you will:
The project aims to develop a physically accurate virtual environment that can simulate the function and performance of particular autonomous vehicles in a variety of environmental terrains and variable interaction scenarios. You will be responsible for developing accurate geometric and dynamic models for each vehicle and the sensors mounted on it and integrating the model into the simulation platform developed by the rest of the team.
You will undertake research and development activities in modelling and simulation of various vehicles and sensors, prepare research grant applications, and prepare research publications. You will develop collaborations with researchers focussing on linkages between RMIT and defence companies including Defence Science and Technology Group and support the co-supervision of research students.
- Demonstrated good oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of various sensing mechanisms and uncertainties embedded within measurements for autonomous vehicles (vehicle simulation and dynamics)
- Experience with robotics and their simulation environments such as AirSim and ROS
- Strong software engineering experience applied to machine learning, including mastering key programming languages such as Python, C/C++, and R
- Preferred: Extensive research experience in well-known RL libraries (e.g., OpenAI's Gym/Universe, Unity ML, etc.) and of one or more industry-grade ML/data science distributions (e.g., Anaconda).
- PhD in Automotive Mechatronics, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or another relevant field.
Note: Appointment to this position is subject to passing a Working with Children check.
Bring your whole self to work
We are better for our diversity. When we listen to those who are different to us, or challenge us, we grow stronger together.
We're proud to share with you some of our wins:
- RMIT University is an Athena SWAN member with Bronze Award accreditation
- We are ranked #1 in the world for our efforts to reduce inequality in the Times Higher Education (THE) Impact Rankings 2020.
- We placed 11th in the 2019 Talent Board APAC Candidate Experience Awards.
- We were named as an Employer of Choice for Gender Equality by the Workplace Gender Equality Agency in 2019.
- We achieved Gold Employer status for LGBTIQ inclusion in the Australian Workplace Equality Index (AWEI) in 2018 and now in 2019.
- We were recognised as a top five employer in 2018 for workplace accessibility with the Australian Network on Disability.
- The launch of our second Reconciliation Plan, Dhumbah Goorowa- a "commitment to share" - an important step in our reconciliation journey.
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter outlining your interest in this role. Candidates are requested to separately address the key selection criteria outlined in the position description. For enquires about this role, you may contact Associate Professor Reza Hoseinnezhad, Associate Dean - Mechanical & Automotive Engineering on firstname.lastname@example.org
We are also happy to make adjustments to the recruitment process for your accessibility requirements. Please contact us via your preferred type of communication: email TalentSupport@rmit.edu.au or call Kassie on +61399252442 with your request(s).
Applications close Sunday, 28th of June 2020.
RMIT is an equal opportunity employer committed to being a child safe organisation. We are dedicated to attracting, retaining and developing our people regardless of gender identity, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability and age. Applications are encouraged from all sectors of the community and we strongly encourage applications from the Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander community.