Lecturer/Senior Lecturer/Associate Professor/Professor, Mathematics And Applied Mathematics
FACULTY OF NATURAL AND AGRICULTURAL SCIENCES
DEPARTMENT OF MATHEMATICS AND APPLIED MATHEMATICS
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
Lecturer / Senior Lecturer:
The successful candidate will be required to:
- Lecture at undergraduate and postgraduate level on the Hatfield, Groenkloof and/or Mamelodi Campuses;
- Conduct research in at least one of the departmental research focus areas that leads to publication in reputable peer-reviewed journals;
- Supervise postgraduate students;
- Participate in departmental administration;
- Participate in community engagement.
Associate Professor / Professor (Same as for Lecturer/Senior Lecturer, plus):
The successful candidate will be required to:
- Provide academic leadership as a teacher, researcher and manager;
- Conduct research in at least one of the departmental research focus areas and/or initiate a new research direction that leads to publications in reputable peer-reviewed journals;
- Establish international partnerships and linkages;
- Be responsible for fundraising relating to academic research;
- Participate in departmental administration and managerial work.
- A PhD-degree in Mathematics and/or Applied Mathematics;
- Some teaching experience in a tertiary environment.
Senior Lecturer (Same as for Lecturer, plus):
- Substantial teaching experience at undergraduate and/or postgraduate levels;
- Potential to be established as an independent researcher in the near future based on a recent body of work.
Associate Professor (Same as for Senior Lecturer, plus):
- Evidence of being an independent researcher at an international level, based on a recent body of quality work within the field that attests to on-going engagement;
- Experience in fundraising for academic research;
- Excellent teaching experience in learning facilitation, subject mastery, curriculum development, development of learning materials and assessment techniques;
- Proven experience in supervising several Master’s students to completion.
Professor (Same as for Associate Professor, plus):
- Considerable international recognition as a researcher in the subject field;
- Proven experience in supervising several Master’s and PhD students to completion.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- Research experience based on a recent body of work beyond the PhD thesis;
- Substantial teaching experience in a tertiary environment.
- Evidence of excellence in teaching at undergraduate and/or postgraduate levels;
- Experience in the supervision of postgraduate students;
- Established as an independent researcher based on a recent body of work.
- Innovative contributions to teaching in some of the following aspects: learning facilitation, subject mastery, curriculum development, development of learning materials, assessment techniques;
- Experience as a leading scholar in the field for the high quality and wide-ranging impact of recent and sustained quality research outputs;
- Leader of a research group including PhD students and postdoctoral fellows;
- Excellent professional and managerial skills.
One of the posts is for appointment in the field of Mathematics of Finance. The other three posts are for any field of Mathematics and Applied Mathematics, compatible with the research profile of the Department.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED and UMVUZO medical aid schemes and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
Applicants are requested to apply online at www.up.ac.za, and follow the link: Careers@UP.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact;
- Names and contact details of peer reviewers (academic and research);
CLOSING DATE: 15 July 2020
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
Mrs E Kühn, email@example.com for application-related enquiries, and
Prof R Anguelov, firstname.lastname@example.org for enquiries relating to the post content.
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 30 September 2020, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.