Professor/Associate Professor and Deputy Dean, Research and Postgraduate Studies
FACULTY OF HEALTH SCIENCES
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The Faculty invites applications from persons who comply with the relevant requirements for the position of part-time Deputy Dean responsible for Research and Postgraduate Studies. The appointment will be over and above the person’s existing academic appointment and will take up 50% of the successful candidate’s time, as negotiated with the Dean.
The successful candidate will have academic, managerial and administrative responsibilities and, as part of the Faculty Management Team, will take responsibility for assisting the Dean in implementing and executing the Faculty’s plans for research and postgraduate studies in conjunction with HODs. The Deputy Dean will also be required to chair Faculty committees related to these core functions as delegated by the Dean.
The Deputy Dean: Research and Postgraduate studies will assist the Dean with the development and implementation of innovative research and postgraduate strategies and will be required to cultivate and maintain strong relationships with the relevant support services in the University. Through strategic leadership he/she will also be responsible for facilitating the development and creation of an innovative research-focused environment (assisted by University support structures etc.) that will enable departments to achieve their targets in research and postgraduate mentorship but also stimulate novel research concepts/domains that can lead to pioneering research focus areas. As part of the Management Team he/she will assist in managing the performance of departments, HODs and staff, and encourage, enable and support interdisciplinary research as well as the forging of international academic links and collaboration.
- Eligibility for appointment as an Associate Professor/Professor;
- A successful track record at this level, with proven, on-going excellence in research and postgraduate supervision, lecturing at under- and post-graduate levels, and community engagement;
- Appropriate experience in liaising with internal and external stakeholders, including funders;
- Management experience relevant to the higher education environment.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- An understanding of the importance of the role of Health Sciences in tertiary education;
- Demonstrable administrative skills;
- An understanding of the vision of the Faculty and a commitment to achieving the strategic research and postgraduate education goals as formulated in the Faculty Plan;
- Excellent communication and language skills;
- Proven strategic development, planning and implementation skills;
- A track record in establishing an environment that is conducive to postgraduate education and research with high-impact outputs;
- Sound knowledge and understanding of the regulatory frameworks for conducting research e.g. Ethical conduct in research, regulatory environment for laboratory establishment, etc;
- Facilitation and negotiation skills;
- Good interpersonal and team-building skills;
- Change management skills;
- Conflict management skills;
- Management and leadership skills.
Although candidates will be appointed permanently as Professor or Associate Professor, the headship is a fixed-term appointment of four years.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED and UMVUZO medical aid schemes and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
Applicants are requested to apply online at www.up.ac.za and follow the link: Careers@UP.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- a complete, up-to-date curriculum vitae in the UP-prescribed format; a brief self-evaluation;
- your vision (as the potential Deputy Dean) for the Faculty of Health Sciences in both national and international contexts;
- the names and contact details (email addresses) of three referees who can attest to your academic stature and leadership ability.
- The University reserves the right to consult with additional referees.
Candidates are expected to make a verbal (no technology) presentation to the Faculty Recruitment and Selection Committee on his/her vision for the Department.
The Regulation and Procedure for the Appointment of Deans and Deputy Deans is available at www.up.ac.za (Link: Careers@UP, Appointment regulations for Executives and Deans). By applying, applicants consent to the appointment process as contained in the regulation.
CLOSING DATE: 26 June 2020
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
Mrs Letticia Jooste, Tel: (012) 420 6921 for application-related enquiries, and for enquiries relating to the post content.
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 26 September 2020, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.
More searches like this
- Other Health & Social Care Senior Management & Heads of Department jobs in South Africa
- Other Health & Social Care Other Senior Management jobs in South Africa
- Other Health & Social Care Academic Posts jobs in South Africa
- Other Health & Social Care Professors / Chairs jobs in South Africa
- Other Health & Social Care Principal / Senior Lecturers / Associate Professors jobs in South Africa