Deputy Secretary (Legal)
Deputy Secretary (Legal)
Legal Services and Compliance
Location: Joseph Priestley Building
Salary: £70,506 to £76,636 per annum
Closing Date: Sunday 07 June 2020
Interview Date: To be confirmed
Reporting to the University Secretary, we are looking to recruit a Deputy Secretary who will take overall leadership for all legal and compliance activities across the University and subsidiary companies including the development of the Legal Services strategy. This is an exciting post heading up the Legal & Compliance Team in the University.
You will work with the Board of Governors, Executive Team and Senior Managers to identify legal risks and present and support the implementation of pragmatic solutions. In addition you will fulfil the statutory duties of the Data Protection Officer as defined by the GDPR and any other relevant legislation.
- be expected to lead the Legal & Compliance Team managing a full and varied case load of legal matters.
- be a qualified and flexible solicitor with the ability to acquire new areas of specialism
- have a successful track record of operating at a senior level to develop and implement an organisational wide legal strategy.
- be able to demonstrate a mature leadership style along with the ability to influence others at a more senior level.
- have excellent written and verbal communications – especially the ability to provide concise and clear advice on complex litigation and compliance matters – are essential.
- have experience of managing Higher Education legal issues is desirable with a strong practical understanding of law and the ability to identify and resolve problems to support the University moving forward
With around 24,000 students from 80 countries, Birmingham City University is a large and diverse place to study. We put students at the heart of everything we do, giving them the best opportunities for future success. The University has an enviable reputation for providing quality, student-focused education in a professional and friendly environment. Our superb courses, state-of-the-art facilities, first-rate staff, and focus on practical skills and professional relevance is producing some of the country’s most employable graduates.
We put £270 million into the regional economy and support thousands of jobs in the area. We're investing £260 million in our estate, including a major expansion of our city centre campus at Eastside, providing students with an enviable range of facilities. The Complete University Guide ranked us as a top 30 UK university for spending on facilities in 2015.
Our staff and student community is defined by our core values, which outline who we are as a University and how we will work with each other. Our core values are Excellence, People focused, Partnership working and Fairness and integrity.
As part of your application, please upload a CV and Cover Letter. You are advised, where possible, to remove personal details from your CV and Cover Letter such as your name, to ensure a fair and transparent process.