Research Assistant/Research Fellow in Quantum Photonics/Nanophotonics
- Full-time, 2-year fixed-term contract based at RMIT City campus but may be required to work and/or based at other campuses of the University
- Be part of research activities funded by the ARC Centre for Quantum Computation and Communication Technology working with Dr Alberto Peruzzo in the Quantum Photonics Laboratory
- Open to candidates with Quantum Optics or Photonics or Nanofabrication or Condensed Matter Physics or Telecommunications and Electronic Engineering background
- Opportunities to conduct high quality research in the areas of micro-nano (photonic) fabrication or condensed matter physics with the capability to experimentally realise & characterise integrated photonic circuits or solid-state quantum emitters
- Report to the Associate Dean, Electronic and Telecommunications Engineering with the day-to-day reporting to Dr Alberto Peruzzo
- Remuneration at Academic Level A ($67,630 - $ 91,734) or Academic Level B ($96,564 - $ 114,672) + 17% superannuation
RMIT is a multi-sector university of technology, design and enterprise with more than 91,000 students and 11,000 staff globally. RMIT offers postgraduate, undergraduate, vocational education and online programs to provide students with a variety of work-relevant pathways.
Our purpose is to offer life-changing experiences for our students, and to help shape the world with research, innovation, teaching and industry engagement. With strong industry connections forged over 130 years, collaboration with industry remains integral to RMITs leadership in education, applied and innovative research, and to the development of highly skilled, globally focused graduates.
Our Values inspire us, wherever we are in the world, and guide how we live and work together.
Imagination. Agility. Courage. Passion. Impact. Inclusion.
What unites us is our purpose and our values; they are at the heart of who we are, what we stand for, how we make decisions and connect with each other.
Our people make everything at the University possible. We encourage new approaches to work and learning, stimulating change to drive positive impact. RMIT exists to create transformative experiences for our students, getting them ready for life and work. You will be a part of a productive and collaborative team, who values working relationships and outcomes through open and inclusive planning, continuous information sharing and transparent work practices. When you join our team, you'll be able to access a range of benefits. From travel to fitness, there's something for everyone.
About the College
The School of Engineering comprises a diverse range of disciplines: Aerospace Engineering & Aviation; Chemical & Environmental Engineering; Civil & Infrastructure Engineering; Electrical & Biomedical Engineering; Electronic & Telecommunication Engineering; Manufacturing, Materials & Mechatronic Engineering; Mechanical & Automotive Engineering.
As a top 100 university in the world for engineering (2015 QS Rankings by Faculty; Engineering and Technology), RMIT Engineering provides students with work-relevant education programs, access to excellent research facilities and opportunities to engage in creative real-world project work through robust relations with local and international industry leaders.
RMIT Engineerings education is based on innovation and creativity. Key discipline areas in the School of Engineering provide programs with flexible pathways to global careers or postgraduate research.
More details on the School of Engineering in this link.
About you and the role
As an experience Research Assistant or Research Fellow, you will work independently as well as collaboratively contributing to the research and development in area of Quantum Nanophotonics OR Electronic & Telecommunications Engineering OR Condensed Matter Physics, possessing excellent written and verbal communications skills in delivering high impact research publications & new research initiatives, preparing & submitting competitive research grant proposals. In this position, you will have sound problem-solving and analytical skills to communicate and present research findings, concepts and knowledge across multidisciplinary team, colleagues and industry partners. You will be responsible to manage and organise time effectively and efficiently to conduct innovative research in delivering high quality research outputs meeting the aim of the research projects and University commitment in research excellence.
PhD qualification in integrated nanophotonic fabrication, experimental quantum optics and/or condensed matter physics areas; candidate with proven excellent track record of published research work and publications in areas of Quantum Photonics, Nanophotonics, Quantum Optics or Condensed Matter Physics or Electronic & Telecommunication Engineering with strong industry linkages will be highly regarded.
Preferred: Completion of the Essentials in Tertiary Teaching Practice program or equivalent (if the appointed candidate does not meet this requirement at time of appointment, they will be supported to complete this as a requirement to fulfil their probation)
Note: Appointment to this position is subject to passing a Working with Children check.
Bring your whole self to work:
We are better for our diversity. When we listen to those who are different to us, or challenge us, we grow stronger together. When we feel like we belong, we can achieve so much more. We respect each other, embrace our differences and build a sense of belonging in our team and beyond.
Were proud to share with you some of our wins:
- RMIT University is an Athena SWAN member with Bronze Award accreditation and the College of Science, Engineering and Health is central to driving improvements in gender equality, diversity and inclusion, particularly in the Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics and Medicine (STEMM) disciplines.
- We are ranked #1 in the world for our efforts to reduce inequality in the Times Higher Education (THE) Impact Rankings 2020.
- RMIT University is placed 10th in overall Times Higher Education (THE) Impact Rankings 2020, rocketing up from 82nd place in 2019.
- We placed 11th in the 2019 Talent Board APAC Candidate Experience Awards.
- RMIT was placed 10th in the 2019 Randstad Employer Brand Research Awards, up five spots from 2018.
- We were named as an Employer of Choice for Gender Equality by the Workplace Gender Equality Agency in 2019.
- We achieved Gold Employer status for LGBTIQ inclusion in the Australian Workplace Equality Index (AWEI) in 2018 and now in 2019.
- We were recognised as a top five employer in 2018 for workplace accessibility with the Australian Network on Disability.
- The launch of our second Reconciliation Plan, Dhumbah Goorowa- a "commitment to share" - an important step in our reconciliation journey.
Please submit your updated resume and cover letter outlining your experience & achievements by clicking on the 'Apply now link. Please note that a separate response to Key Selection Criteria as stated on the Position Description is required. For further information about this position, please see Position Description below. For any enquiries, please contact Dr Alberto Peruzzo (email@example.com)
Applications close on Monday 22nd June 2020.
We are also happy to make adjustments to the recruitment process for your accessibility requirements. Please contact us via your preferred type of communication: email TalentSupport@rmit.edu.au or call Kassie on +61399252442 with your request(s).
RMIT is an equal opportunity employer committed to be a child safe organisation. We are dedicated to attracting, retaining and developing our people regardless of gender identity, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability and age. Applications are encouraged from all sectors of the community and we strongly encourage applications from the Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander community.
Receive opportunities at RMIT directly to your inbox by subscribing here.