Associate Professor/Professor, English
FACULTY OF HUMANITIES
DEPARTMENT OF ENGLISH
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The successful candidate will be required to:
- Teach and develop undergraduate and postgraduate courses in English;
- Supervise post-graduate students at Master’s and Doctoral level;
- Take a leading role in research;
- Participate and assume leadership roles in the Department’s strategic initiatives relating to teaching, research, community engagement and fundraising.
- A doctorate in English Literature;
- An established research record, appropriate to the post level;
- A substantial teaching record;
- International standing in the candidate’s field of expertise;
- Proven supervision skills and significant experience in leading and mentoring postgraduate students
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- A commitment to teaching at all levels;
- Recognition by peers and academic status as a specialist in the field, appropriate to the post level;
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
The following will be a strong recommendation:
- An NRF rating
- Evidence of successful grant applications and/or involvement in raising third-stream income
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED and UMVUZO medical aid schemes and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
Applicants are requested to apply online at www.up.ac.za, and go to About UP. Select Career Opportunities and select the position you want to apply for.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact;
- Names and contact details of peer reviewers (academic and research);
CLOSING DATE: 30 June 2020
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Prof Molly Brown: firstname.lastname@example.org (for queries about the position)
Ms Vicky Reynders: email@example.com (for application queries)
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 30 September 2020, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.