6 days left
- Full Time
Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
The Owens Valley Radio Observatory supports the construction and operation of several large telescope projects. The remote location, broad range of tasks, and extensive infrastructure requires someone to supervise a team responsible for multiple construction and maintenance tasks. Recent additions to staff have afforded OVRO the opportunity to reorganize this key function to assign a Supervisor to oversee a team of employees performing related work. Given the size of the team and the scope of work, this is a hands-on role.
- Supervise a team of 3 Direct Reports
- Operate heavy equipment (crane, loader, forklift)
- Maintain heavy equipment for mandatory certification, as well as site vehicle fleet
- Assist with fabrication, construction, and installation of telescopes including welding
- Maintain site buildings and grounds, including the entry road
- Manage hazardous waste, monitor fire extinguishers, sump pumps, etc.
- Maintain air conditioning (certified)
- Painting telescopes and other equipment
- Trenching for power and fiber for antenna arrays
- Full authority on decisions regarding use of heavy equipment, including evaluating wind and ground conditions and authority of participating crew
- Responsible for decisions on required maintenance on site and vehicles, including selection of replacement equipment or parts
- Responsible for dividing time appropriately among tasks (weed control, safety inspections, construction and fabrication activities) in between tasks determined by major project work (antenna installation, trenching, etc.)
- Class A driver’s license with tanker endorsement
- Crane operator’s license with endorsements for both small and large hydraulic booms
- Forklift operator’s certification
- EPA 608 refrigeration certification
- California general contractor’s license
- Prior lead or supervisory experience in a related field
- Prior related experience at the observatory