FACULTY OF HUMANITIES
DEPARTMENT OF ENGLISH
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Teaching and curriculum development at both undergraduate and postgraduate level in English Literature and/or Applied Language Skills;
- The supervision of postgraduate students;
- Research at an internationally competitive level, appropriate to the post level;
- Academic administration and other duties as determined by the Head of Department; Participation in the Department’s strategic initiatives relating to teaching, research, community engagement and fundraising.
- A doctorate in English Literature or Applied Linguistics or evidence of substantial progress towards the achievement of one;
- A research record, appropriate to the post level – at least one article in an accredited journal;
- Evidence of some teaching experience at a tertiary level.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- A commitment to teaching at all levels;
- Recognition by peers and academic status as a specialist in the field, appropriate to the post level;
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
The following will be a strong recommendation:
- Evidence of supervision experience and an ability to lead and mentor postgraduate students;
- Expertise in either African Literature or Applied Language Skills, including but not necessarily limited to descriptive grammar, TESOL and/or editing.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED and UMVUZO medical aid schemes and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
Applicants are requested to apply online at www.up.ac.za, and go to About UP. Select Career Opportunities and select the position you want to apply for.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact;
- Names and contact details of peer reviewers (academic and research);
CLOSING DATE: 30 June 2020
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Prof Molly Brown: firstname.lastname@example.org (for queries about the position)
Ms Vicky Reynders: email@example.com (for application queries)
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 30 September 2020, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.