Export Compliance Technical Specialist
7 days left
- Full Time
The Export Compliance Technical Specialist is a member of the staff of the Caltech Office of Export Compliance (CEC) and reports to the Director of Export Compliance. CEC is a small organization with a very large mission: assuring Caltech's compliance with export control regulations. CEC is focused on compliance with highly technical regulations, but in such a way as to minimize the impact to the on-going research and education activities of Caltech.
Candidate must have good analytical skills and ability to interpret complex government regulations; ability to research and analyze technical parameters of a product or technology for export controls; ability to conduct document review to determine whether information falls under the export control regulations; assist with preparing licenses and processes; perform internal assessments of export and import procedures. Ideal candidate will have engineering or other demonstrated technical background such as experience working with space flight projects, aerospace/defense industry or related areas such as semi-conductor, sensor, detector, optics or laser industries.
Experience with the ITAR, EAR, DOE or NRC regulations preferred. Candidate must have ability to interface well with people and have good communication and writing skills.
- Represent the Caltech Office of Export Compliance (CEC) directly interfacing with research and education projects, including NASA/JPL/DOD/DOE/Caltech collaborations to support existing and new export compliance processes and procedures;
- Provide day-to-day project support to ensure campus meets export compliance in meetings, discussions, presentations, documentation, recordkeeping and any other aspect of the project that requires export compliance;
- Perform document review of technical documents to determine the presence of export controlled information;
- Work with researchers to perform export classifications and license determinations for projects and shipments;
- Interface with staff and researchers to conduct export license determination for Department of Homeland Security I-129 process;
- Participate in training projects to improve the skills of Caltech staff in the review of technical documents to make determinations concerning export compliance issues.
- Work with researchers to gather sufficient information to conduct export classification/license determination of hardware, software, technical data, technology transfers
- Perform internal campus assessments to determine effectiveness of implemented export compliance procedures
- Bachelor's Degree required
- Must possess excellent communication and writing skills with ability to exchange information and interface effectively with faculty, staff, government officials and vendors.
- Must have ability to interpret government regulations and analyze against technical specifications of a product or technology.
- Methodical, with attention to detail
- Ability to work well with all levels of staff and researchers Ability to multi-task and work in a fast paced environment.
- Five years related experience preferred
- Strong engineering background preferred or equivalent experience or expertise in the defense, space or satellite industry.
- Bachelor's degree in science or engineering, MS or PhD degree preferred.
- Candidates with a good understanding of the export regulations: International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Export Administration Regulations (EAR), Department of Energy, Nuclear Regulatory Commission, and/or Office of Foreign Assets Control preferred.
- Cover Letter
- Applicants are welcome to include 3 letters of reference