6 days left
- Full Time
We are seeking an individual to aid in the analysis of mass spectrometry based proteomics and metabolomics datasets and help develop appropriate experimental designs for future experiments. Applicants must be comfortable working with and integrating very large datasets from a large number of projects from diverse areas of research. Applicants must be self-motivated to research new analysis techniques to aid in laboratory efforts and be able to effectively communicate both results and methodologies to the Director and its collaborators.
- Uses databases and management tools to enhance proteomics and metabolomics applications for research and analysis.
- Develops theoretical and numerical models, algorithms, and graphical interfaces for data analysis.
- With senior researchers, monitors data collection integrity, manipulates and/or eliminates data produced, and identifies appropriate corrective action.
- Communicates productively with biologists and protein scientists.
- Reviews and critiques reports and analysis of other research staff; conducts ongoing periodic and final analysis of data using specialized techniques or computing applications programs.
- Uses and implements principal component, hierarchical clustering, linear and multi-linear regression, and Volcano plot analysis for complex data systems.
- Develops and validates system requirements, scientific protocols, complex computer software, computational models, tools or equipment.
- Coordinates the development of user interfaces and data access services to archive very large data sets and enable researchers to access and explore complex data in a centralized database.
- Oversees and coordinates formal quality review and analysis of scientific data and identifies appropriate corrective actions.
- Gets acquainted with and applies advanced and thorough knowledge of Caltech research operations, strategies, and scientific concepts.
- Participates in scientific associations that will benefit Caltech research; informs other about latest trends and issues.
- Cultivates external alliances that exchange benchmark information.
- Authors and/or co-authors results and presents findings at high level meetings, scientific organizations, or conferences with Principal Investigator; may be responsible for originating, initiating, and/or writing research grants with Principal Investigator.
- Develops and/or works with high performing parallel computers and visualization systems to enhance computation and analysis or modeling.
- May provide leadership and/or guidance to other research personnel on a semi-regular basis.
- Provides guidance and assistance to graduate students, staff, and other researchers regarding direction of the project and interpretation of research results.
- MS in Computer Science, Bioinformatics, or Biostatistics.
- Experience with Statistics, Python or R.
- Strong communication and presentation skills.
- Previous experience with processing and integrating omics databases.
- Previous experience with proteomics software such as MaxQuant, Proteome Discoverer, or Skyline.
- Previous experience with Data Mining and Machine Learning.
- Ph.D. in Computer Science, Bioinformatics, or Biostatistics with experience in proteomics and/or metabolomics.
- GO Term enrichment analysis experience.
- Experience with metabolomics software such as Compound Discoverer.
- Data Management experience.
- Working knowledge of Tandem mass spectrometry.
- Knowledge of Molecular Biology or Biochemistry.
- Knowledge of Data Mining/Machine Learning.
- Basic IT skills.
- Knowledge of 3D printing.