Seeking a motivated individual to work as part of the Voorhees laboratory to carry out structural and functional studies on protein biosynthesis and quality control. The work includes all aspects of molecular and structural biology including cryo-electron microscopy, cloning, protein expression, and protein biochemistry. The is a three year term position.
- Assist with general laboratory organization and set-up.
- Assist with guiding junior lab members in basic molecular biology techniques.
- Cloning and testing of various protein expression constructs.
- Purification and analysis of single proteins and protein complexes.
- Functional experiments in mammalian cells and in vitro translation systems.
- Assist with electron microscopy grid preparation and data collection.
- A highly motivated and qualified candidate may develop independent projects.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in science is required with educational emphasis in chemistry or biology.
- Must have at least four years practical experience in basic molecular biology.
- The ability to learn new skills related to all aspects of cryo-electron microscopy.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Excellent organization and communication skills are required.
- PhD in molecular or structural biology.
- Experience with mammalian tissue culture.
- Protein purification experience.
- Experience with genome-wide screens and CRISPR-cas9 a bonus.
- Mentoring and/or lab management experience.