Senior Laboratory Manager
6 days left
- Full Time
This position reports directly to the Principal Investigator in the Department of Pathology and is responsible for the supervision and management of two or more staff as well as the daily operation of the lab. The candidate will perform and function as a Senior Lab Manager and provide support for all clinical trials and study protocols. This position will have direct involvement of patient consent and collection of consented tissue as well as managing distribution flow of samples to collaborating teams. The candidate will manage lab orders, supplies, and performs related experiments using mouse models, cell biological, and molecular techniques. Performs the following essential duties:
- Consent patients with lung cancer and/or brain metastasis on IRB approved clinical trials and/or study protocols. Collect consented tissue and manage distribution flow of samples to collaborating teams. Bank tissue and manage databases of these samples. Strong communication and organizational skills, institutional awareness, and schedule flexibility are required.
- Dissociate tumor cells and immune cells from tumor tissue or other biological sources and generate patient biopsy derived models of metastasis in animals.
- Design and execute pre-clinical studies using said models in collaboration with others.
- Collect data and maintain detailed and accurate records to ensure data results are compiled, analyzed and presented accurately and professionally.
- Orally communicate (formal and informal presentations) study progress to collaborators and sponsors. Coordinate communications and exchange of reagents between project collaborators.
- Develop long range plans for supplies and equipment to ensure smooth operation of laboratory.
- Provide supervision/training of other research staff (including C&T and students).
- Assist PI with the preparation of study manuscripts, grants, and written progress reports.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
- Designs, plans, implements and evaluates complex multifaceted research projects/systems, including method development, adaptation and validation.
- Collaborates with PI to define research endeavors and the development of research hypothesis and approach.
- Solves complex methodology, protocol, procedural and research problems through design of techniques, procedures and policies that will achieve research goals.
- Develops long range plans for supplies and equipment to ensure smooth operation of laboratory.
- Investigates, analyzes and evaluates complex data, data collection systems and methods to reach scientific conclusions and ensures the integrity of research data.
- Collaborates with PI to coordinate major lab renovations working with Facilities, Health and Safety, and Purchasing to ensure deadlines, safety standards and purchases are according to plans and within budgets.
- Prepares scientific reports and papers for research proposals and published reports. 8. May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
Master’s Degree in a scientific discipline and three years of experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Demonstrated ability to work with and handle mice in a research environment.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Ability to work independently and function as a member of a team.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Ability to operate lab equipment, follow scientific protocols, utilize computer programs to analyze, interpret scientific data, and maintain clear documentation of results.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Well-developed verbal and written communication skills.
Required Skill/Ability 5:
Demonstrated ability to manage a team.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
Experience managing in a union environment. Experience with enrollment of patients onto IRB approved study protocols. Ability to work with and handle tissue biopsies.
Weekend Hours Required? No
Evening Hours Required? Occasional
Drug Screen No
Health Screening No
Background Check Requirements
All candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle, DOT certification, drug testing and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent upon the successful completion of the background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Affirmative Action Statement:
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects people from sex discrimination in educational programs and activities at institutions that receive federal financial assistance. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to the University’s Title IX Coordinator, at TitleIX@yale.edu, or to the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 8th Floor, Five Post Office Square, Boston MA 02109-3921. Telephone: 617.289.0111, Fax: 617.289.0150, TDD: 800.877.8339, or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.