Assistant Human Resources Director
For the first 10 days of this posting starting May 11, 2020, we will only be reviewing applications of internal candidates for this position.
Why Stanford? As one of the world’s premier research institutions, Stanford University devotes tremendous resources toward the betterment of humanity. We focus on hundreds of initiatives — in everything from medicine to engineering, the environment, peace and national security in order to create an atmosphere humming with intelligence and excitement.
The Business Affairs HR team seeks an experienced and talented individual to join our team as an Assistant Human Resources Director for our University IT organization. Our ideal candidate will have a depth of HR experience in all the roles of a generalist, plus be experienced in talent management to include recruiting, performance management, high potential development and succession planning. This role will interface directly with Stanford’s CIO and his leadership team who manage the complex and decentralized business of IT. While the role will work closely with IT leadership, the position reports directly to the Director of HR for Business Affairs, who reports to the AVP of Finance and Administration, Business Affairs. The ideal candidate will also have a deep understanding and appreciation of the unique world of Information Technology.
This role will serve as a strategic human resources advisor for the senior leadership team of the UIT organization. This role has a dotted line reporting relationship to the UIT Chief of Staff and is guided by the direction of the CIO and Chief of Staff to advance the strategic goal developing the culture of One UIT. The Assistant Human Resources Director will manage the human resources manager (HRM) for UIT guiding this individual in addressing staff related issues, policies, programs, and processes for the organization.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with the organization's management to support initiatives by understanding the organization's objectives, issues, needs, and key success factors. Serve as the strategic human resources advisor and thought partner for the senior leadership team of the UIT organization to include the CIO and his direct reports.
- In collaboration with UIT’s leadership, coordinate and deliver a portfolio of ongoing HR programs and initiatives for the organization. Consult and collaborate with the OE specialist team to assess organizational and individual staff development needs. Identify, communicate, and consult with staff on training and career development opportunities.
- Provide mentoring, coaching and guidance to the HRM
- Working as a team with the HRM, provide a range of human resources services for the full life cycle of the employee. Identify and implement strategies to improve human resources strategies and outcomes. This includes data analysis, identifying and evolving IT job classification schema, approaches for remote work centers, workforce planning initiatives and similar fundamentals.
- The HR services this role is responsible for will include, but are not limited to, operational excellence and strategies for talent acquisition, selection, immigration, onboarding, compensation, talent development projects, workforce planning efforts, and off boarding as needed. Support or lead higher level searches, and advise on affirmative action objectives, as needed. Will consult on UIT diversity and inclusion programs.
- Investigate complex and/or high risk employee relations issues, provide solid advice and counsel towards risk mitigation, and coach towards appropriate resolution; work in consultation with ELR as needed.
- Oversee performance appraisal process; design procedures and documents specific to the organization, as needed. Provide relevant coaching and guidance. Lead the change management process for the roll out of a new appraisal tool to replace SimpleEval.
- Manage area's salary-setting program. Along with the HRM, advise managers on assignment of employees to appropriate classification levels; review and approve salary actions; design and/or manage incentive and bonus programs, as needed.
- Oversee processes owned by the local HRM such as workers' compensation, disability, leave, work place accommodation requests, and health and safety issues; oversee and approve human resources transactions submitted for processing. Prepare reports, and analyze data available through local and centralized database resources.
- Provide ongoing training, exposure and experiences for the HRM in all HR functional areas with the goal of enhancing her skills. Manage the HRM and hold regular 1:1s, provide honest, timely feedback, challenging goals and responsibilities and ongoing professional development.
- This role functions independently in most instances and under general direction of the BAHR leader to address a range of complex problems and or organizational issues.
- Collaborate with UIT leaders to support initiatives by understanding UIT’s objectives, issues, needs, and key success factors. Actively participate in planning processes and promote best practices; provide leadership for workforce planning efforts.
*The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification and are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor's degree and five years relevant experience, or a combination of education and relevant experience. 8 -10 years of relevant experience preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Deep competencies and experiences as an advisor to senior management in at least four human resources areas, including: employee relations, employment and labor law, compensation, staffing and employment, training and development, performance coaching and management, and organizational/talent development.
- Creative and innovative skills in recruiting top talent.
- Deep expertise and experience developing and implementing effective talent management solutions, including workforce planning, learning and development, performance management, and organizational design and effectiveness.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills, strong EQ and expertise in group dynamics. Successful track record of establishing credibility and trust with a diverse client group.
- Excellent facilitation, oral and written communication skills; ability to prepare clear and concise reports and deliver formal presentations or training to senior management and other audiences.
- Strong instructional/curriculum design skills and experience.
- Strong program/project management skills and experience.
- Strong analytical, critical thinking, problem solving, judgment, negotiating, influencing, and decision making skills. Ability to maintain confidentiality, tact, and diplomacy.
- Ability to build the confidence of others through open communication and respectful behavior.
- Strong supervision/management and staff development experience.
- Demonstrated proficiency with business applications, such as Microsoft Office suite and human resource information systems.
PLEASE NOTE: We are not able to provide sponsorship or relocation for this position.
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job.
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Job Code: 4706
Employee Status: Regular
Requisition ID: 86650