Research Project Specialist
Reporting to the Research Manager of Elevate, A policy lab to Elevate Mental Health and Disrupt Poverty, the Research Project Specialist will be responsible for a range of research and evaluation tasks in support of the program’s activities. Duties require that incumbent:
- Develops and prepares research briefs and summary reports based on data collection, data sharing agreements and processes, and research findings for the executive director and external partners.
- Prepares briefing reports for the executive director on policies, agencies, organizations, individual leaders, and issues related to Elevate’s mission.
- Develops, in coordination with research manager, operational policies and procedures and ensures that such procedures are implemented.
- Coordinates research and evaluation activities with external partners in support of the overall mission.
- Trains external partners on the impact evaluation and research and evaluations protocols.
- Manages communications with established and developing program sites.
- Ensures that data submitted by partner sites meet data conventions, runs query checks and works with external partners to resolve missing data.
- Uses statistical computer programs (e.g. SAS, SPSS, R) and existing database programs to construct and manage limited datasets relevant for immediate analyses.
- Provides external partners with metrics reports.
- Independently, and as part of a team, analyzes information on policy and datasets pertaining to mental health.
- Tracks all program activities and regularly informs leadership of progress on each initiative.
- Recommends structural or programmatic adjustments, changes or additions based on full knowledge of missions, goals, and objectives. Works closely with leadership, internal and external colleagues, and community residents to further develop and implement strategic plans.
- Identifies, solicits, and cultivates community partnerships and collaborations to assist in the development and growth of the program.
- Contributes to the submission of grants and contracts supporting the program, as well as the regular reporting for existing grants and contracts, providing data and analysis, as needed.
- Oversees and manages information systems.
- Manages special projects ranging from academic to financial from inception to completion, which requires quantitative analysis, independent research, and the proposal of resolutions or conclusions. Creates and envisions programmatic initiatives and communication strategies.
- Designs and develops communications strategies for special projects. Develops and exercises a keen understanding of the multiple audiences and contributing University offices involved in a given project to ensure that individual communications are rolled out within a structure planned in advance and with appropriate communication among key stakeholders.
- Envisions, creates and authors a wide variety of sensitive and high-level written materials. Serves as coordinator and executor for a range of internal and external committees. May participate in decisions regarding committee work. Advises panelists on precedents and prior actions.
- Serves as Secretary for committee(s), manages informal and formal resolution processes and voluminous correspondence.
- May supervise the work of project coordinator and administrative staff.
- Serves as liaison to other departments on all communications.
- Contributes to design, organization, and maintenance of department website.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor's Degree in a related field and four years of related work experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Ability to support and represent the Elevate mission, working collegially with peers and colleagues within and outside the University.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Well-developed oral and written communication skills with the ability to prepare and submit electronic messages for various audiences including communications from the Executive Director and prepare manuscripts for submission to journals and editors.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Ability to oversee and manage the coordination of research activities across multiple partners and sites based on grant goals and milestones.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Proficiency with Microsoft Office programs, graphic design software, and statistical software packages such as SAS and R.
Required Skill/Ability 5:
Ability to work as a team member and support Elevate and the team as needed.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
Background Check Requirements
All candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle, DOT certification, drug testing and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent upon the successful completion of the background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Affirmative Action Statement:
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects people from sex discrimination in educational programs and activities at institutions that receive federal financial assistance. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to the University’s Title IX Coordinator, at TitleIX@yale.edu, or to the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 8th Floor, Five Post Office Square, Boston MA 02109-3921. Telephone: 617.289.0111, Fax: 617.289.0150, TDD: 800.877.8339, or Email: email@example.com.