- Full Time
The hours of this position are 4:00 p.m. to 12:00 a.m., Monday through Friday. Under the direct supervision of the Cytology Manager, assist in daily preparation of gynecological and non-gynecological specimens; support patient registration team in all activities, including but not limited to: accessioning, registration, filing (slides, blocks, documents, etc). Performs the following essential duties:
Case intake, registration and accessioning of Cytological and Surgical Pathology specimens in the Pathology Information system (CoPath) and YNHH EPIC systems.
Prepare specimens such as Fine Needle Aspiration Biopsies, body fluid samples, specimens from special procedures, cell blocks and other samples for analysis and diagnosis using specialized laboratory techniques which include but are not limited to: specialized laboratory tests for the processing of ThinPrep specimens on the ThinPrep 2000 and 5000 processors, processing of SurePath samples on the BD Totalys Multiprocessor system: load specimens and operate the Focal Point and ThinPrep Imaging systems.
- Stain, label and coverslip processed smears. Correlates paperwork with processed smears. Filters stains and reagents. Prepares specialized solutions.
- Test for and ensure quality control of slides and specimens to maintain consistent staining of slides to be read by Focal Point and ThinPrep Imaging systems and high priority Non-Gynecological specimens.
- Print, sort and mail patient reports and monthly abnormal reports, type final reports for the cytology unit.
- Instruct and train laboratory and support staff on laboratory techniques.
- Responsible for ordering and maintaining inventory supplies.
- Follow HIPAA privacy regulations at all times.
- Comply with Safety protocols at all times.
- Perform additional duties incidental to laboratory function.
- Performs laboratory tests and procedures in such areas as histology, medical technology, cytology, and cytogenetics. Records results. Interprets results of tests and procedures. Makes preliminary analyses of results.
- Sets up, operates and maintains laboratory equipment. Instructs support staff on laboratory techniques.
- Prepares specimens, tissue, bodily fluid samples, and other matter for analysis and diagnosis using non-routine laboratory techniques.
- Stains and mounts slides; prepares solutions and media; and cultures tissues
- Orders and maintains inventory of supplies. Performs additional functions incidental to laboratory activities.
Required Education and Experience
Four years of related work experience, two of them in the same job family at the next lower level, and a high school level education; or two years of related work experience and an Associate's degree; or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Demonstrated ability with manual dexterity.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Ability to multitask and problem solve.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Demonstrated ability and knowledge of anatomy and medical terminology as well as experience in a clinical laboratory setting.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Proven ability to effectively communicate with all levels of staff.
Required Skill/Ability 5:
Proven record of excellent attendance to be attested by references.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
Experience with EPIC and CoPath systems. Experience with SurePath and Thin Prep Processing and Imaging Systems.
Weekend Hours Required? No
Evening Hours Required? Yes
Drug Screen: No
Health Screening: No
Background Check Requirements
All candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle, DOT certification, drug testing and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent upon the successful completion of the background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Affirmative Action Statement:
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects people from sex discrimination in educational programs and activities at institutions that receive federal financial assistance. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to the University’s Title IX Coordinator, at TitleIX@yale.edu, or to the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 8th Floor, Five Post Office Square, Boston MA 02109-3921. Telephone: 617.289.0111, Fax: 617.289.0150, TDD: 800.877.8339, or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: Yale University is a tobacco-free campus