Lecturer/Senior Lecturer, New Generation of Academics Programme
3 days left
- Full Time
NEW GENERATION OF ACADEMICS PROGRAMME (nGAP)
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancies.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in the broad fields of science, technology, engineering, the humanities and social sciences, internationally.
The Department of Higher Education and Training is implementing the New Generation of Academics Programme (nGAP) under Staffing South Africa’s Universities Framework (SSAUF) in partnership with South African state universities. Phase 6 of the nGAP has been approved by the DHET and its implementation is currently underway. The University of Pretoria has been allocated 5 posts for this phase as mentioned below. The posts are institution-based and permanent. The aim of this advertisement is to recruit candidates that have a passion for pursuing a career in academia and to improve the equity profile of the University, which constitutes an important aspect of the nGAP and UP’s Strategic Plan. Consequently, the University invites applicants who are 40 years or younger with a Master’s or PhD degree or who are currently enrolled or plan to enrol for a PhD degree and who are from under-represented designated groups to apply for positions in the departments listed below.
Natural and Agricultural Sciences:
Plant and Soil Sciences (1 post)
Veterinary Tropical Disease (1 post) - (field of specialisation: veterinary parasitology and associated molecular biology)
Engineering, Built Environment and Information Technology:
Mechanical and Aeronautical Engineering (1 post)
Economic and Management Science:
Marketing Management (1 post)
Visual Arts (1 post)
The incumbents will be required to:
- Participate in a formal development programme aimed at strengthening their aspirations and skills as researchers and lecturers;
- Teach undergraduate and postgraduate courses;
- Mentor and supervise postgraduate students;
- Conduct collaborative research in their research specialisation areas;
- Play an active role as academics, nationally and internationally;
- Complete their PhD studies in instances where these have not yet been completed;
- Assume limited administration responsibilities in their departments.
- A Master’s degree in the relevant discipline;
- Illustrate the potential to become a competent lecturer at the undergraduate level;
- Illustrate strong potential to become an established researcher.
- A relevant doctoral degree;
- Proven teaching experience;
- Proven record of publications.
For the Plant and Soil Sciences position:
Degree (MSc / MSc Agric / PhD) in Agronomy, Plant Pathology or Horticulture
- Good communication skills;
- Experience in interdisciplinary, collaborative research;
- Proven record of national and international teamwork;
- Leadership potential.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED and UMVUZO medical aid schemes and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
Applicants are requested to apply online at www.up.ac.za (follow the link: Careers@UP), quoting the applicable reference number and clearly indicating for which Department you would like to be considered.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV (utilising the UP format downloadable from the University website);
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact;
- At the level of Senior Lecturer, names and contact details of peer reviewers (academic and research);
CLOSING DATE: 5 June 2020
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Dr Louw Botha (firstname.lastname@example.org / 012 420 4038): Deputy Director, Human Resources (Acting)
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by end of August, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference will be given to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right not to make an appointment to the posts as advertised.