Technical Application Support Analyst, Department of Information Technology Services
DEPARTMENT OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY SERVICES
PEROMNES POST LEVEL 07
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
To take responsibility for the provisioning, maintenance (installation, configuration, upgrade and patching), problem solving, availability, performance/monitoring, backups, disaster recovery and support (also after-hours) of all the applications, databases and supporting software that are supported by the ITS Application Support Analyst team. The incumbent of this post may from time to time fulfil either a maintenance and support role, or a development role, or aspects of both, depending on operational requirements. The major focus of this job will however be maintenance and support.
The successful candidate's responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
System maintenance and support:
- Software installation and maintenance:
- Installation, upgrade and maintenance of all applicable UP corporate systems (vendor-supplied as well as in-house developed) and related system software on which these systems rely. This includes new installations and upgrades, service packs, patches etc., both during office hours and after-hours when required;
- System support:
- Support, maintenance and monitoring of all applicable UP corporate systems (academic as well as support services systems). This includes tuning, trouble shooting, problem prevention, backup/recovery, disaster recovery, security administration and capacity planning;
- Liaise with product vendors and use vendor information sources to resolve software problems and obtain information about new versions, upgrades, service packs etc.;
- Define and implement procedures for the effective deployment of enterprise applications and/or application changes;
- Define and implement procedures for the effective migration of enterprise applications and/or application changes through the application development lifecycle;
- Document and maintain Disaster Recovery procedures and participate in Disaster Recovery testing activities;
- Write scripts/applications to:
- Generate load and test system performance, as an aid in problem detection and resolution;
- Automate system administration processes;
- Support testing activities of all applicable UP corporate systems;
- User support:
- Attend to users' enquiries on an on-going basis. Provide information and support, according to the nature of the enquiry;
- Provide after-hours support to IT Helpdesk, Data Centre personnel and users with regard to the availability of all applicable UP corporate systems;
- Ensure that requests for system changes, system errors and associated system-development work are registered and attended to according to the prescribed procedures;
- Standards, processes and documentation:
- Set and enforce standards for all applicable UP corporate system environments;
- Create and maintain documentation of the following:
- All changes made to existing systems, configurations and procedures;
- New environments that have been created, as well as the necessary migration of data;
- New processes that were implemented;
- Exceptions with regard to standard processes, etc.;
- Must adhere to the following:
- IT policies and procedures;
- Business processes and rules;
- Configuration management and documentation procedures;
- System security techniques, methods and standards;
- Analysis and design:
- Assist with the development of configuration management plans;
- Participate in Proof-of-Concept projects, etc.;
- System development and integration assistance:
- Needs determination:
- Compile detailed technical specifications according to prescribed standards;
- Cooperate with the integration team to investigate system integration and interfaces with other systems, etc.;
- Layout and design of files:
- Do data analysis, as necessary for programmatic data migration, the merging of data, data downloads, data uploads and data cleaning, as necessary, etc.;
- Code the programs by using a particular programming language, e.g. Java, etc.;
- System testing:
- Needs determination:
- Support the test analyst with the compilation of the test data, etc.;
- System Implementation:
- Compile, in co-operation with the relevant main user(s) and DBAs, a deployment/implementation plan, or give inputs into the implementation plan in cases where a project manager is involved;
- Provide inputs to users’ needs for system-related hardware, etc.
- Applicable Bachelor’s degree or B Tech (e.g. B.Sc. or B.Com Informatics) WITH
- Three years’ relevant experience as technical application support analyst, which includes or may run concurrently with:
- Three years’ experience in technical maintenance, administration and application lifecycle management of production systems (including related system software and databases);
- Three years’ experience in trouble-shooting and problem resolution;
- Three years’ experience in working with users and providing user support;
- Applicable IT related three year diploma (e.g. National Diploma Computer Science, Diploma in Information Technology) WITH
- Four years’ relevant experience as technical application support analyst, which includes or may run concurrently with:
- Four years’ experience in technical maintenance, administration and application lifecycle management of production systems (including related system software and databases);
- Four years’ experience in trouble-shooting and problem resolution;
- Four years’ experience in working with users and providing user support.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Windows, Linux and other Unix operating systems;
- Installation and technical administration of SQL databases;
- Installation and technical administration of system software;
- Usage of diagnostic and monitoring software;
- Technical Competencies:
- Troubleshooting within an IT software environment;
- Behavioural Competencies:
- Very good problem solving and analytical skills;
- The ability to follow instructions, guidelines, policies and procedures;
- The ability to manage the continuous changes within a technological environment;
- The ability to maintain a high level of professionalism and responsibility;
- Good interpersonal and conflict handling skills;
- Good language and communication skills (both written and verbal);
- The ability to attend to a variety of tasks simultaneously, work under pressure and adhere to strict deadlines;
- The ability to work effectively in a multi-disciplinary team;
- The ability to effectively manage time and resources efficiently;
- Knowledge and experience of risk management principles, configuration management, and understanding of organisational design.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- Three years’ system development experience;
- Two years’ experience in:
- The compilation of user requirement specifications;
- Working with Microsoft SQL and MySQL databases, and optionally Oracle databases;
- Courses and/or experience in the following:
- Systems analysis and design;
- Object oriented analysis and design;
- Development frameworks (e.g. JDeveloper, Microsoft .NET);
- Programming languages (e.g. Java, People Code);
- Certification (e.g. Sun Java, J2EE);
- Project management;
- Business analysis;
- Test analysis;
- Microsoft .Net;
- Microsoft Windows and Office;
- Knowledge, understanding and experience of:
- Load testing and performance tuning of systems;
- Managing the system development life-cycle;
- Relational database models and architecture;
- Data/business/systems modelling;
- Producing high quality documentation;
- Experience in the design, development and implementation of complex systems in a tertiary education environment;
- Automation of database and application maintenance.
PLEASE NOTE: All shortlisted candidates may be required to participate in relevant skills assessments as part of the selection process.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED and UMVUZO medical aid schemes and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
Applicants are requested to apply online at www.up.ac.za, and follow the link: Careers@UP.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact.
CLOSING DATE: 26 May 2020
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 31 July 2020, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.