Research Assistant Professor/Postdoctoral Fellow in Interdisciplinary Air Pollution and Health Study
The University of Hong Kong 's highest priorities are to create opportunities for the very best academic talents to excel and to advance human knowledge to the benefit of society. We serve the needs of Hong Kong, the wider region and the rest of the world.
Work type: Full-time
Department: Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering (14300)
Categories: Academic-related Staff
Applications are invited for appointment as Research Assistant Professor(RAP)/Post-doctoral Fellow(PDF) in Interdisciplinary Air Pollution and Health Study in the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering (Ref.: 500131), to commence as soon as possible, on a three-year fixed-term basis for RAP, or on a three-year temporary basis for PDF.
The Department offers B.Eng., M.Sc., M.Phil. and Ph.D. programmes. The B.Eng. programmes comprise Electronic Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering (jointly offered with the Department of Computer Science) and Biomedical Engineering (jointly offered with the Faculty of Engineering and the Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine). The Department consists of 45 full-time teaching staff and has excellent computing resources, well-equipped teaching and research facilities and supports. Information about the Department can be obtained at http://www.eee.hku.hk/.
Applications should possess the following:
- A Ph.D. degree in Ethical Engineering/Neurological/Biomedical/Computer/Electrical/ Electronic Engineering or a closely related field
- For RAP applicants: experience serving as a postdoc in a prestigious university/research organization and track records in teaching in a related field, and in obtaining interdisciplinary research grants
- A solid track record in research, preferably in, but not restricted to, the following areas: AI, deep learning, social networks, ethical engineering, neurological or biomedical research
- Demonstration of leadership potential in interdisciplinary research
- As a good team player, the ability to work efficiently and effectively with international partners in the academia or industry
- Demonstration of strong work ethics and moral principles
- The ability to meet deadlines and to work under pressure
The successful applicant will be working in the HKU-Cambridge AI to Advance Well-being and Society Research Platform (AI-WiSe), a leading international interdisciplinary research platform which supports collaboration in socially beneficial research between HKU and The University of Cambridge. AI-WiSe focuses on AI and big data analytics, and their applications to important societal challenges such as COVID-19, air pollution and public health. Applicants are expected to perform the following duties:
- Lead and manage the day-to-day running of an interdisciplinary grand challenge project in relation to public health and air pollution
- Conduct frontier research in a grand challenge interdisciplinary topic related to air pollution and public health and publish articles in prestigious high impact journals
- Assist in the applications of local and international grand challenge proposals
- Partner with international researchers and attend international seminars/conferences
A highly competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience will be offered, in addition to annual leave and medical benefits. At current rates, salaries tax does not exceed 15% of gross income. The appointment on fixed terms will attract a contract-end gratuity and University contribution to a retirement benefits scheme totalling up to 15% of basic salary.
The University only accepts online application for the above post. Applicants should apply online and upload an up-to-date C.V., indicating the post (PDF or RAP) applied for. Review of applications will commence as soon as possible and continue until June 4, 2020, or until the post is filled, whichever is earlier.