Hazard Communication Specialist
Department PPPL ES&H
Category Administrative Support
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
Help assure that all work conducted for the Laboratory is done in a manner that does not compromise the safety and health of workers. Support PPPL Hazard Communication program to assure effectiveness and compliance with regulations.
- Maintain Safety Data Sheet (SDS) database by inputting new data, searching for and updating existing data sheets, and entering chemical inventory data. Act as database administrator and point of contact for SDS database.
- Conduct field inspections of chemical storage areas and cabinets to verify proper storage. Maintain an accurate inventory of chemicals stored and used throughout the Laboratory. Ensure that SDS database matches with chemical inventory.
- Review incoming chemicals for hazards and ensure that SDS is received, reviewed and available through the SDS database before allowing purchase.
- Use the chemical inventory to redistribute or recycle chemicals for other users at the Lab.
- Prepare or assist in preparation of regulatory reports regarding chemical inventory including the Emergency Planning and Community Right to Know Act (EPCRA) and emergency response planning reports.
- Perform or assist in other safety activities as directed by the Safety Division Head or the Head of the ES&H Department.
- Degree in Occupational Safety and Health, chemistry or related field preferred. Relevant experience may substitute for education.
- 0-3 years Occupational Safety and Health experience at commercial facilities and/or DOE facilities.
- Must have good computer, verbal and writing skills.
Must be capable of accessing any and all work areas in order to physically view chemical storage practices and conduct inspections. This may involve bending, climbing, and kneeling. Must be able to periodically lift up to 25 lbs.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Please be aware that the Department of Energy (DOE) prohibits DOE employees and contractors from participation in certain foreign government talent recruitment programs. All PPPL employees are required to disclose any participation in a foreign government talent recruitment program and may be required to withdraw from such programs to remain employed under the DOE Contract.