Safety Division Group Lead
Department PPPL ES&H
Category Environemental Safety and Health
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
Pro-actively lead the Safety and Health program at Princeton Plasma Physical Laboratory (PPPL) to ensure a safe and healthful workplace. Develop and lead safety improvement efforts with measurable outcomes. Develop metrics and indicators to demonstrate overall lab safety performance. Analyze both positive and untoward events to ensure PPPL is a learning organization and make recommendations to improve performance. Work directly with line management including operations and research areas to evaluate and improve performance. Manage and lead the PPPL Safety Program, including the areas of Industrial Hygiene, Industrial Safety, Electrical Safety, Construction Safety, Laser Safety, and Non-Ionizing Radiation Safety. Supervise and support other members of the PPPL Safety Division.
- Pro-actively lead the Safety and Health program at PPPL to ensure a safe and healthful workplace. Develop and lead safety improvement efforts with measurable outcomes. Manage safety and health program and act as interpretive authority and Subject Matter Expert and/or Competent Person for most or all of the following technical areas: Laser Safety, Non-Ionizing Radiation, Hazard Communication, Chemical Safety, Nano-particle safety, Scaffold Erection, Excavation safety, Ergonomics. Have working knowledge of all areas of Industrial Safety, Construction Safety and Industrial Hygiene, including Fall Protection, Machine Guarding, Exposure Sampling, Confined Space Entry, Respiratory Protection, and Risk Management.
- Provide oversight of all work activities, conduct walk-through's and field visits, perform consultations and answer ES&H related questions for all Lab personnel.
- Hire, develop, manage, supervise and lead the Safety group, including approximately 5-10 full time personnel and associated budget. Review and approve time sheets, equipment purchases and division expenditures. Provide guidance, direction and support for staff. Provide regular feedback on performance and complete annual appraisals.
- Manage Safety and Industrial Hygiene Programs to include revising policies and procedures, data collection and databases, and document and record keeping control.
- Participate in design reviews, contractor work planning meetings, pre-job and post-job briefs.
- Assist in the development of technical procedures and Statements of Work, Job Hazard Analyses, and work planning documents.
- Provide effective communications to Laboratory staff by writing newsletter articles, issuing bulletins, contributing to monthly safety posters, speaking to small or large groups, and updating web sites.
- Conduct, create and revise training for Safety and Industrial Hygiene Topics.
- Perform incident, injury and near-miss investigations, write reports, and perform root cause analysis and trending/analysis of overall performance.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Hygiene, Occupational Safety or related field.
- Minimum 10 years experience in managing safety and health program with equivalent complexity of PPPL.
- Supervisory experience and Master’s Degree preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must have good verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be able to work with Microsoft Office products.
- Knowledge of FileMaker databases and web development preferred.
Certificates and Licenses:
- Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) and/or
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP) preferred.
- Must be able to access all areas of the Laboratory including climbing steps and ladders, working at heights, entering confined spaces, walking through the facility. Must be able to occasionally lift 25 pounds and wear personal protective equipment.
- Primarily normal 8 hour work day between 7:00 AM to 4:30 PM required with occasional after hours and weekend work.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Please be aware that the Department of Energy (DOE) prohibits DOE employees and contractors from participation in certain foreign government talent recruitment programs. All PPPL employees are required to disclose any participation in a foreign government talent recruitment program and may be required to withdraw from such programs to remain employed under the DOE Contract.