Associate Director, Yale Center for Environmental Law and Policy
2 days left
- Full Time
The Yale Center for Environmental Law & Policy, a joint undertaking between Yale Law School and the Yale School of Forestry & Environmental Studies, advances fresh thinking and analytically rigorous approaches to environmental decision-making across disciplines, sectors, and scales. In addition to its research activities, the Center also aims to foster discussion and collaboration across the Yale campus on environmental law and policy issues at the local, regional, national, and global levels.
The Associate Director oversees the programmatic, research, and administrative functions of the Center in coordination with the Faculty Director. Reporting to the Faculty Director, he/she serves as the chief operating officer of the Yale Center for Environmental Law & Policy, responsible for the development and execution of the programs and projects of the Center.
The YCELP Associate Director will be expected to:
- Develop and facilitate programmatic activities including research projects, policy white papers, speakers, workshops, and conferences.
- Manage the Center’s and the Director’s research projects, including budgets, timetables, and work products.
- Serve as a liaison to the Center’s external advisory board including periodic reports to the group and regular outreach to each individual member.
- Coordinate with other centers, faculty, staff, and students within the environment and law schools and across the university.
- Build and foster the Center’s relationships with external partners including NGOs, consortiums, foundations, policymakers, and other universities.
- In consultation with the development offices of the Yale Law School and the Yale School of Forestry & Environmental Studies, help the Center’s Faculty Director raise funds for the Center by identifying potential funders, drafting proposals, and providing careful stewardship existing funders.
- Oversee the Center’s reputation, outreach activities, and work product with an eye toward excellence every day. This responsibility includes developing, implementing, and managing social media, websites, blogs, podcasts, brochures, newsletters, and any research-related publications.
- Hire, train, and supervise Center staff and student research assistants. Analyze personnel needs and allocate appropriate resources on an ongoing basis. Identify and pursue opportunities for staff and student development and training.
- Provide mentorship and career advice for students associated with Center.
- Oversees the advancement and growth of the program. Gives direction and leadership supporting the philosophy, mission, strategy, and annual goals and objectives. Assumes primary accountability for disseminating and publishing all program information to create public awareness and support of the program.
- Works closely with leadership, internal and external colleagues, and community residents to further develop and implement strategic plans.
- Identifies, solicits, and cultivates community partnerships and collaborations to assist in the development and growth of the program. Develops the metrics to identify and measure the success of the program. Responsible for measurements of grant success and related evaluation.
- Assists in identifying and evaluating potential future funding sources, and contributes to the submission of grants and contracts supporting the program, including the annual submission and writing of all content areas and budgetary sections of grant applications. Develops and manages the program’s operating budget.
- Develops the administrative infrastructure of the program. Manages human resource and administrative functions of the program, including staffing and hiring, supervision, performance development, counseling and discipline, if warranted. Oversees and manages information systems, facilities, and space needs.
- Investigates, identifies, implements, and oversees the maintenance of systems to gather, track, and report information to support the initiatives of the program. Tracks all program activities and regularly informs leadership of progress on each initiative. Recommends structural or programmatic adjustments, changes or additions based on full knowledge of missions, goals, and objectives.
- Initiates, designs, and manages the compilation of program communications; identifying outreach potential, and promoting philanthropic and collaborative support of the program. Contributes to the development and assists in the management of content on the program’s website and monitors all changes and additions to the editorial content.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree in a related field and four years of related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Superior writing and editing abilities, particularly in regard to policy materials. Superior oral communication skills.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Excellent interpersonal skills for effective, positive interactions inside and outside of Yale.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Strong leadership, negotiation, organizational and management skills.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Team player with ability to work well with staff, faculty and students.
Required Skill/Ability 5:
Demonstrated ability to work successfully in a fast-paced and rapidly changing environment. Capacity to act independently and in coordination with a diverse team of colleagues.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
Strong knowledge of or interest in environmental issues and the sustainability realm. Demonstrable ability to discern political, economic and cultural beliefs and ideologies related to policy questions and subject matter, including participant and institutional biases.
Background Check Requirements
All candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle, DOT certification, drug testing and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent upon the successful completion of the background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Affirmative Action Statement:
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects people from sex discrimination in educational programs and activities at institutions that receive federal financial assistance. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to the University’s Title IX Coordinator, at TitleIX@yale.edu, or to the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 8th Floor, Five Post Office Square, Boston MA 02109-3921. Telephone: 617.289.0111, Fax: 617.289.0150, TDD: 800.877.8339, or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Yale University is a tobacco-free campus