Postdoctoral Research Associate/Fellow in Aeronautical Optimisation
School of Aerospace, Mechanical and Mechatronic Engineering
Faculty of Engineering
- An opportunity exists to work closely withAeronautical Research Group of The University of Sydney
- Located on the Darlington Campus at the School of Aerospace, Mechanical and Mechatronic Engineering
- Full-time Level A or B, fixed term up to 31 December 2021with a base salary of $91K - $126K p.a., plus a generous employer’s contribution to superannuation
About the opportunity
Reporting to Associate Professor Dries Verstraete, the two Postdoctoral Research Associate/Fellow positions, will work with a team of engineers and researchers to design, optimise, wind-tunnel- and flight-test a multi-seat air ambulance. The research associate will drive the development and extension of an optimisation suite tailored to an eVTOL (electric vertical take-off and landing)configuration, and take leadership in generating high quality research output of relevance to the industry partner. The role will involve optimisation of an aeromedical eVTOL aircraft with the aim to be the most efficient and longest range eVTOL aircraft globally.
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for a Postdoctoral Research Associate/Fellow who has:
- completed (or near completion) a PhD in a topic related to multi-disciplinary optimisation of aircraft, aero-propulsive interactions of eVTOL aircraft, multi-fidelity optimisation, propeller and/or rotor design, or related fields
- experience in large-scale optimisation using medium to high fidelity
- experience in conducting and publishing high quality research in one or more of the following areas: aircraft design, aeronautical optimisation, propeller design, optimisation of expensive computational problems
The School of Aerospace, Mechanical and Mechatronic Engineering (AMME) is one of Australia's premier engineering schools with an international reputation built on more than 130 years' experience. It is home to some of Australia’s most prominent research centres in the fields of aerospace, biomedical, mechanical and mechatronic engineering, including the Australian Centre for Field Robotics (ACFR), the Centre for Robotics and Intelligent Systems (CRIS), the Institute of Biomedical Engineering and Technology (BMET) and the Centre for Advanced Materials and Technology (CAMT).
Since our inception 160 years ago, the University of Sydney has led to improve the world around us. We believe in education for all and that effective leadership makes lives better. These same values are reflected in our approach to diversity and inclusion and underpin our long-term strategy for growth. We’re Australia's first university and have an outstanding global reputation for academic and research excellence. Across our campuses, we employ over 7600 academic and non-academic staff who support over 60,000 students.
We are undergoing significant transformative change which brings opportunity for innovation, progressive thinking, breaking with convention, challenging the status quo, and improving the world around us.
How to apply
For more information on the position and University, please view the position description available from the job’s listing on the University of Sydney careers website.
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. Visit sydney.edu.au/recruitment and search by the reference number 666/0520F to apply.
Closing date: 11:30pm, Thursday 4 June 2020 (Sydney time)
The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.
©The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.