Administrative Assistant, Department of Periodontics, Penn Dental Medicine
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
Posted Job Title
Administrative Assistant, Department of Periodontics - Penn Dental Medicine
Job Profile Title
Office Administrative Assistant B
Job Description Summary
Within the Department of Periodontics, the Administrative Assistant supports the Vice Dean for Scholarship and Research Director of the Doctor of Science in Dentistry (DScD) program. The primary responsibilities of this position includes coordinating and scheduling meetings, appointments, and travel; planning events, such as board/committee meetings, faculty socials, workshops, and symposiums; greeting, escorting, and directing guest speakers during visits; and drafting and proofreading routine correspondence, seminar announcements/flyers, and minutes. This person will provide back-up support to senior administration as needed.
- Serve as initial default reviewer of all travel and expense management (TEM) reports. Verify appropriateness of expenses and review attached receipts for compliance with University and PDM policies. Serve as subject matter expert for departmental delegates/travelers in Concur and TEM system. Verify PDA forms and non-Penn employee travel reimbursements in preparation of submission. Process purchasing card transactions for PDM's 75 cardholders on a weekly basis to verify appropriate documentation has been received. Verify appropriateness of purchase in accordance with University buying policies (Commodity Matrix), attached required receipts and budgetary approvals. As transaction reviewer, submit corresponding journal entries to identified budget code, meeting established weekly deadline with General Ledger. Serve as liaison with University Purchasing Card Administrator to ensure compliance with University policies.
- Coordinate and process monthly stale check reports to Comptroller's Office according to state guidelines. Follow up with mailings to payees requesting updated contact information to resubmit payments; perform necessary actions to ensure due diligence. Certify and maintain completeness of employee payroll documents, purchasing cardholder, and financial files which house highly sensitive/confidential information. Contact cardholders to obtain missing receipts/information. Provide original documents to appropriate individuals for filing/archiving. Coordinate archiving accounts with University Records Center. Assist Director and Associate Director with compilation of data as needed.
- Monitor/reconcile monthly financial exception reports-suspense and wayward; submit correcting journals as needed. Reconcile internal transaction log activity with BEN Financials reports. Produce monthly uniform financial reports. Maintain organized structure in shared drive repository for business administrator retrieval.
- Coordinate new hire documentation; serve as PDM I-9 document/status verifier.
- Provide back-up support to senior administration as needed. Perform other duties as needed or assigned.
High school and 3 - 5 years of related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience. The individual must have excellent written and verbal communication skills, excellent interpersonal skills, and a strong customer service orientation. Experience handling reimbursements and knowledge of the Concur expense system is a plus.
Job Location - City, State
Department / School
School of Dental Medicine
$17.58 - $31.65
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.