Grants Manager A
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
Job Profile Title
Grants Manager A
Job Description Summary
Primary purpose of this role is to support the research activities of a specific School/Center. Under limited supervision, this position will manage the sponsored program funds from pre-award through post-award while working with Principal Investigators on proposal development, budget development and related pre-award requirements and submission for a diverse sponsor portfolio. The individual will also manage the post-award processes including monitoring and review of all charges, reconciliation of accounts, and preparation of monthly financial reports for Principal Investigators. Consults with research faculty in the preparation of sponsored project budget and proposals; review proposals for compliance with sponsor and University policies and ensure Regulatory Affairs requirements are satisfied and that Conflict of Interest statements are submitted when required. Provides full accounting services, reconciling budgets, processing payroll, financial reporting; monitors grant expenditures for compliance with sponsor regulations and guidelines.
Given the significant growth in sponsored research within the Department of Dermatology, we are seeking a Grants Manager A to provide research and financial management support to its investigators. Under limited supervision, the Grants Manager will be responsible for proposal development, budget development, and related pre-award activities for a diverse research portfolio. Post-award tasks include monitoring of all sponsored expenditures, financial analysis and projection, and recommending/implementing corrective actions as needed to ensure timely and accurate grant management. The Grants Manager will ensure principal investigators adhere to sponsor guidelines, OMB Uniform Guidance, and university policies through regular review and advisement issues related to their portfolios.
The Grants Manager will report to the department’s Manager of Admin & Finance; will act as a liaison to the Perelman School of Medicine administration and Research Services; and will have a dotted reporting relationship to the PSOM Office of Research Support Services.
- Oversee post-award grants management activities on grants
- Responsible for sponsor invoicing
- Ensure Principle Investigators (PIs) are adhering to budgets and sponsor regulations
- Oversee account generation, monitor expenditures and execute account closeout
- Oversee pre-award grants management activities
- Prepare and coordinate grant proposals to various sponsors, including the NIH and with clinical trials.
- Generate budgets for PIs based on the proposal guidelines and needs of the PI
- Remain current in NIH guidelines and grant opportunities and educate the PIs regularly.
- Coordinate activities between external contractors, sub-contractors and other associates to ensure agreements are executed properly.
- Manage the submission of MTAs for the Department.
- Manage and prepare financial analyses for the following areas.
- Sponsored Programs
- Tech transfer
- Endowments, Gifts, URF and SOM Designated funds
- All other university accounts with financial review and variance analysis
- Indirectly supervise PI support staff to ensure all grants activities are completed timely and accurately.
- Oversee activities of the administrative business office including but not limited to Effort reporting and detailed study-specific reporting for clinical trials.
- Responsible for maintaining detailed salary grids for faculty members and their research Personnel and performing necessary reclassifications.
- Perform special projects for the Senior Department Leadership
- Perform additional duties as assigned
Bachelor's Degree with 3-5 years of related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience is required. Familiarity with university sponsored research policies and related research management systems is preferred. Excellent interpersonal, communication, and critical thinking skills are required. Must possess the ability to work independently in a deadline driven, multiple priority work environment.
Office, library, computer room
Typically sitting at a desk or table
Job Location - City, State
Department / School
Perelman School of Medicine
$50,684.00 - $91,232.00
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.