About the position
We have a vacancy for a researcher/senior researcher at the Department of Electronic Systems (IES)
The position is a external funded project for the H2020 project AdMire (Advanced Mixed Realities). The main goal of AdMiRe is to develop, validate and demonstrate innovation solutions, based on Mixed Reality (MR) technology, which will allow for audiovisual media audiences a step change in interactivity, and that will bring for content creators a radical improvement in talent immersion and interaction with computer generated elements.
The position will be active in designing, implementing, validating and quality assessment of a MR immersive system for participant engagement
The candidate must be able to work well in a team and quickly acquire knowledge in new topics.
The preferred starting date is August 1, 2020.
You will report to Prof. Andrew Perkis and be part of a team working with Immersive Media Experiences.
Duties of the position
- Create a process by which end users – broadcasters and participants – can be consulted on the specific requirements for use of the AdMiRe technology within live productions. This will include consultation workshops, surveys and other data collection mechanisms that will provide a sound basis for gathering inputs into content and technology design. This process will include identification of a range of different end user types to consult with.
- Modelling and assessing the Quality of Experience (QoE) of the silhouette extractions in AdMiRe
- Validate the AdMiRe technical and functional specifications of the system
Required selection criteria
- PhD degree or significant experience in design, arts, computer science, or other relevant disciplines.
- Recent knowledge and practice within immersive experiences and XR (eXtended Realities)
- Programming skills and experiences and ability to work with practical solutions and real world applications
- Background in interactive media and art
- Expertize in user consultation and validation methodologies and tools for analysing feedback and information gathered with the designed tools.
- The candidate must document experiences in several of the following fields:
- the trending nature of immersive media experiences
- the technological challenges in creating immersive environments digital storytelling
research and validation methodologies
- working with consultation processes and tools and analysing feedback and information
- Quality of Experience modelling and assessment.
- Good written and oral English
Preferred selection criteria
- Ability and interest in trans disciplinary work
- Ability to work and interact with industry
- Documentation or work and collaboration on a European level
- Experience from H2020 projects
- Are passionate about innovation and have a high level of curiosity and willingness to learn.
- Can document their ability to work in a team and deliver high-quality results independently.
- Can demonstrate the ability to engage with users and beneficiaries of their innovation.
- Can demonstrate that they can rapidly acquire and apply knowledge in new areas.
In the assessment of the best qualified applicant, we will emphasize education, experience and personal suitability as well as your motivation for the position.
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Salary and conditions
The gross salary for the position of researcher (code 1109) is normally remunerated at gross from NOK 523 200 before tax per year, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund,
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU
The position is subject to external funding for a period of two years.
It is a prerequisite that you can be present at and accessible to the institution on a daily basis.
About the application
The application and supporting documentation must be in English.
Please note that applications are only evaluated based on the information available on the application deadline. You should ensure that your application shows clearly how your skills and experience meet the criteria which are set out above.
If, for any reason, you have taken a career break or have had an atypical career and wish to disclose this in your application, the selection committee will take this into account, recognizing that the quantity of your research may be reduced as a result.
The application must include (Departments to choose from the following):
- CV, certificates and diplomas
- Academic works - published or unpublished - that you would like to be considered in the assessment (up to 10 works)
- A description of the academic/artistic works that you regard as most relevant and that you particularly want to be considered in the assessment
- Name and address of three referees
- Research plan
- Details of teaching qualifications based on "Documentation of applicant’s teaching qualifications in connection with appointment to an academic position at NTNU”
- Details of the projects you have managed, with information about funding, duration and size
Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify your contribution to joint works, you must attach a brief description of your participation.
A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background.
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment - DORA.
As an employee at NTNU, you must at all times adhere to the changes that the development in the subject entails and the organizational changes that are adopted.
Under the Freedom of Information Act (offentleglova), your name, age, position and municipality may be made public even if you have requested not to have your name entered on the list of applicants.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact Andrew Perkis, telephone +47 9189 97 483, email Andrew.email@example.com. If you have any questions about the recruitment process, please contact Randi Hostad, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please submit your application and supporting documentation via jobbnorge.no. If you are invited for interview, you must bring certified copies of certificates and diplomas.
Mark the application with reference number: 2020/10900.
Application deadline: 15.05.2020
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Electronic Systems
The digitalization of Norway is impossible without electronic systems. We are Norway’s leading academic environment in this field, and contribute with our expertise in areas ranging from nanoelectronics, phototonics, signal processing, radio technology and acoustics to satellite technology and autonomous systems. Knowledge of electronic systems is also vital for addressing important challenges in transport, energy, the environment, and health. The Department of Electronic Systems is one of seven departments in the Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering .
Deadline 15th May 2020
Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Place of service Campus Gløshaugen