IT Systems Analyst 2 or 3
We are seeking a Systems Analyst 2 or 3 to complete our team. The level will be determined by your level of experience.
IT Systems Analyst 2 or 3
The Financial, Asset, and Service (FAS) systems group in University IT-Enterprise Technology is responsible for Stanford University’s financials, asset, and service management systems. Included in FAS technology portfolio are Oracle Business Suite, ServiceNow, Incorta, as well as custom applications built in Oracle APEX, Slate, Axiom, and WebModule platforms.
FAS is looking for a dynamic and engaging person with strong analytical skills and solid understanding of systems integrations to join our Technology Solutions Alignment team. A successful candidate will have a track record of capturing and modeling business requirements and evaluating technology solutions for proper alignment. A successful candidate will have demonstrated ability to understand directions and priorities to assure the delivery of quality solutions. A successful candidate will have established a track record for designing enterprise information systems that are secure, reliable, and scalable.
The incumbent for this position will primarily work on the Graduate Financial Planning System (GFPS). GFPS is used by the School of Humanities & Sciences, Graduate School of Education, School of Medicine, School of Engineering, and School of Earth, Energy & Environmental Sciences to manage graduate aid budgeting and forecasting. Graduate aid is one of the university’s largest expenditures; it is a complex business incorporating many policies, multi-year financial commitments, and funding from numerous internal and external sources. The incumbent for this position will work with the finance and student services teams of these schools to ensure alignment of GFPS with their business need.
This position is one of four systems analysts in a team that translates business needs to systems design. The team focuses on aligning technology solutions with business processes. The team collaborates with Business Analysts, Developers, UI Designers, QA, and the Deployment and Operations Team to successfully deliver system solutions. The team serves as liaison between business partners, software vendor teams, and UIT technical team for system-related matters.
70% of Time
- Manage the analysis of business requirements, design, development and implementation of new systems and enhancement of existing systems. Coordinate work efforts for system enhancements and upgrades.
- Partner with business management to define the appropriate technical solutions
- Understand business processes and translate into system solutions
- Design and document modules and components and how they will interface with each other.
- Develop functional specifications to ensure compliance with system development lifecycle methods
- Collaborate with developers on application specifications and system enhancements to ensure appropriateness of design and delivering resolution of issues; work with business partners to test and deploy resolution in a timely manner.
- Assist with initial determination of the feasibility of requests and ensure user requirements are thoroughly and accurately documented in accordance with standard techniques.
- Team up with business partners and developers to set realistic response
- Manage relationship and work efforts with outsourcing provider
- Interact with team members, the user community and others on an ongoing basis to ensure accurate identification and delivery of business requirements.
- Coordinate various testing efforts
- Collaborate with schools and departments across the University to understand their requirements; identify system solutions that meet their needs; key business partners include: FMS, UComm, UGA, H&S, SoE, SoM, GSE, and SE3
- Work with business partners and UIT counterparts to gather requirement, create business-to-system process mapping, and develop change matrices outlining changes in business and system processes
- Conduct in-depth analysis to solve problems, make recommendations, and/or discover new approaches to system design and implementation
- Prioritize requirements, create prototype, present mock-ups, assist business partners in determining roles and permissions, assist in creating test scripts to guide both technical team and user community
- Work closely with the technical team, stakeholders, and project manager to ensure solutions meet business needs
- Perform quality assurance to ensure requirement are met prior to releasing system for user acceptance testing
- Manage project and monitor status of deliverables; coordinate workload and timeline; escalate and/or adjust expectations, scope, and timeline accordingly
- Identify areas in business processes that can be modified to minimize custom/customized development of vendor solution systems
- Partner with Web Module, Slate, and Axiom service providers to ensure timely and proper delivery of work efforts
- Utilize tools such as ServiceNow, Jira, Confluence, Google Drive, O365, Zoom, and in-person meetings for effective communication and collaboration with business owners and technical team
- Conduct meetings, scheduled and as needed, to share ideas and findings
- Assist in user acceptance testing
- Serve as a liaison between business partners, stakeholders, technical team, and distributed users
- Participate in working groups
30% of Time
- Act as single point of contact between IT and the customer.
- Develop functional specifications to ensure compliance with system development lifecycle methods.
- Conduct in-depth analysis to solve problems, identifying gaps and issues that minimize system modification and maintenance; make recommendations, including discovering new approaches or applications
- Provide technical guidance and training
- Act as single point of contact between FAS and business partners for production support, enhancements, and upgrades
- Serve as liaison between business partners, vendors, and technical team for system-related issues
- Shepherd production issues from triage to resolution
- Analyze and assist in support of new system rollouts and upgrades by testing and support
- Identify patterns in system issues; work with business partners, technical team, and vendor to determine if recurring issues can be resolved with change in business process and/or technical solution
* Other duties may also be assigned
Education & Experience:
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or related technology field and eight years of relevant experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong understanding of student administration, from admission to matriculation.
- Knowledge of student aid funding.
- Understanding of graduate student aid desirable.
- Demonstrated experience with both process and data modeling.
- Demonstrated experience with fit/gap analysis.
- Knowledge of computer system capabilities, business processes, and work flow.
- Experience with enterprise applications and understanding of database driven applications.
- Strong understanding of the software development life cycle.
- Strong problem solving and troubleshooting skills.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, including the ability to bridge functional and technical resources by communicating effectively with individuals of varying systems expertise and business needs.
- Ability to establish effective, ongoing relationships with clients, staff and management.
- Ability to establish effective relations with external partners, including vendors.
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively with minimum direction.
- Ability to manage multiple competing priorities and work under pressure in high stress situations.
Certifications and Licenses:
- Solid understanding of ServiceNow ITSM module.
- Familiarity with Business Relationship Management discipline in the IT framework.
- Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks.
- Frequently sit, grasp lightly/fine manipulation.
- Occasionally stand/walk, use a telephone.
- Rarely writing by hand, lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh up to 10 pounds.
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
May work extended hours, evening and weekends.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, https://adminguide.stanford.edu.
Why Stanford is for You:
Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts, and more.
- Redwood City. Our new Stanford Redwood City campus, opened in Spring 2019, will be the workplace for approximately 2,700 staff, including University IT, whose jobs are important to supporting the University’s mission. The campus offers amenities such as onsite cafes and a dining pavilion, a high-end fitness facility with an outdoor pool, and a childcare center for Stanford families.
We are not able to provide relocation or sponsorship for this position.
How to Apply
We invite you to apply for this role by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. Please submit your resume and a one-page cover letter along with your online application.
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4802
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: I
- Requisition ID: 85030