Director, Contracts Management
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
Posted Job Title
Director, Contracts Management
Job Profile Title
Job Description Summary
The Gene Therapy Program (GTP) is entering a new era of unprecedented opportunity with the great potential to reshape the face of medicine as we know it. Our discoveries have set the stage for successful treatments and possibly even cures for devastating genetic diseases.
The laboratory of Dr. Jim Wilson, at GTP of the University of Pennsylvania, has been a leader in the development of innovative vector technology for close to three decades. We have emerged as the “go-to” organization for public and private partners, who want to participate in the gene therapy space. Currently, we are positioned to lead another round of vector innovation and establish pre-clinical and clinical proof-of-concept in therapeutic applications of in-vivo genome editing.
Continuation of all GTP positions is contingent upon funding.
The Director, Contract Management for the Gene Therapy Program (GTP) and Orphan Disease Center (ODC) will be a key member of the GTP Business and Strategy team as well as the ODC team and will be responsible for independently managing contracts, including alliance-related contracts, in support of all GTP and ODC programs. The position will oversee a wide variety of contracts and agreements with external parties and will include the following specific responsibilities:
- Lead the review, drafting, negotiation and execution of Confidential Disclosure Agreements, Material Transfer Agreements, Consulting Agreements, Service Agreements and other agreements in accordance with GTP/ODC project timelines and Penn standards.
- Manage and execute up to 150 contracts or more annually.
- Serve as primary interface with the Penn Center for Innovation (PCI) for the review and processing of all relevant agreements/contracts.
- Serve as primary contact for contract related questions and lead resolution of contract related issues with internal GTP/ODC and external parties, elevating to GTP, ODC and PCI leadership as needed.
- • Engage and advise the GTP Chief of Strategy and Business Officer, Business Development and Senior Director, Legal Affairs on business and contractual terms to protect and advance the work of GTP and ODC in all external partnerships and contractual relationships.
- Lead development and implementation of processes and best practice procedures for GTP to standardize contract work flow and manage risk. Communicate relevant contract. processes/procedures to internal GTP and other Penn stakeholders (including PCI). Develop contract and relevant processes training program for GTP and ODC colleagues as needed.
- In collaboration with Alliance Management function, develop KPI’s to measure operational effectiveness of the contract management function.
- Establish and manage on an ongoing basis the GTP contract and agreement repository database.
- Build highly productive relationships with external partners/collaborators and all relevant internal stakeholders, including GTP, ODC, PCI, ORS and other Penn functions.
- Complete special projects including supporting GTP and ODC business team and collaborating on other GTP and ODC initiatives as requested.
- Master's degree and at least 5 to 7 years of experience working in a contracts management capacity in the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry or an equivalent combination of education and experience required. PhD preferred.
- Must be skilled in drafting, reviewing, modifying and negotiating contract agreements.
- Experience working with pre-clinical or clinical research & development preferred but not required.
- Project or process management experience a must.
- Must be a self starter but also have a strong desire to contribute and work collaboratively to achieve goals.
- Must have a track record of success in roles requiring execution of multiple tasks while responding to multiple priorities.
- Must be highly functioning, detail-oriented, and analytical candidate.
- Excellent oral/written communication skills required.
Job Location - City, State
Department / School
Perelman School of Medicine
$72,837.00 - $138,391.00
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.