The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
Posted Job Title
Job Profile Title
Job Description Summary
The Registrar reports directly to the Chief Operating Officer and is responsible for managing the day-to-day operations of the Office of the Registrar, including oversight of student administration activities related to course catalogue updates, enrollment, registration, records, class lists, grades and transcripts. The Registrar also provides advisement as needed to faculty for counseling students regarding enrollment status, course/rotation registration, leave of absence options, grades, etc. In addition to these responsibilities, the Registrar is continually charged with various registrar-related special projects (e.g., information system upgrades, design of student data reports, design of new processes, etc.). The Registrar also works closely with faculty leadership for PSOM as well as the Combined Degree program to assure students’ clinical schedules are coordinated properly. The Registrar maintains close contact with the University registrar and has inclusive knowledge of their systems and how they interface with the PSOM systems.
Oversee daily operations of the Office of the Registrar; registration of students, maintenance of official academic files, maintenance of other student information and complying with State, AAMC and ACRAO guidelines for permanent and nonpermanent student data; maintain class lists, maintain database with changed student status; manage tuition reconciliation; track timeliness of evaluations; ensure accurate and timely distribution of transcripts and licensure requests, e.g., updating and reconciliation between the SOM, University and AAMC databases, liaising with finance regarding tuition charges, Publish important academic calendar and course catalogue, etc.
- Oversee lottery and scheduling processes that are created by the curricular leaders. Work with students in unique circumstances (combined degree/year out, academic challenges) to adjust schedules in compliance with curricular requirements. Optimize students’ clinical schedules as much as possible.
- Manage responses to internal and external information requests. Provide data extracts, enrollment reports, etc.; reconcile and ensure accuracy of all reports, all in a timely fashion; develop reporting packages as needed.
- Responsible for the visiting student process, including the UIM programs here at PSOM and the process for which our students enroll in away rotations. Serve as the liaison to the AAMC for the VSAS initiatives and assure all documentation is in compliance with Penn Medicine requirements. In FY19, there were over 700 applications to review and 496 visiting students were enrolled at PSOM.
- Manage the registrar staff including the management of consistent office processes and policies including FERPA guidelines. Provide guidance to the campus community on the student information system, assisting with planning, implementation, training and updates.
- Develop guidelines for data integrity and Data Management; Oversees daily data management functions in relation to enrollment and grading: resolve grading conflicts, monitor incomplete and missing grades and communicate with faculty, responsible for ensuring updates are done for all course information and course descriptions;
- Manage the collection and timely distribution of class grades and evaluations of students by faculty, for all students, including visiting students; develop electronic mechanisms so that grade submissions are directly by the faculty and transition seamlessly to the official record upon review
- Provide updates on student status to appropriate faculty as requested. Conduct frequent audits of all degree candidates and clears for conferral of degrees; Provide information in a timely fashion to the committees overseeing student progression including the Advisory Deans and the Student Standards Committee. Work with programs to ensure that graduation applications and checkouts are evaluated and filed appropriately.
- Implement and lead the increased use of technology across the functions of the Office of the Registrar which support automation, outreach and improvement of service to students. Transition to complete electronic records. Oversee management of the student information systems. Provide guidance to the campus community on the student information system, assisting with planning, implementation, training and updates. Assist in the production of student handbooks and directories. Assure all students are registered for specific systems including EPIC, OASIS, etc. Manage all background checks including drug testing for matriculated students. Maintain active listing of student compliance with required activities including blood and body fluid precaution training, HIPAA training, vaccination compliance
- Assist in commencement planning and production; assure certification of medical students for NBME examinations and track student enrollment eligibility for NBME testing; manage the shelf exam process.
- Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's Degree and 5-7 years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience required.
Job Location - City, State
Department / School
Perelman School of Medicine
$59,703.00 - $113,435.00
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job