Post Award Research Manager
Reporting to the Operations Manager for the Section of Infectious Diseases/AIDS Program, this position will serve as the Research Manager with oversight of all sponsored research in Section and other non-sponsored funding sources used primarily for research by faculty. Provide analytical and financial services, guidance and consultation to faculty and staff optimizing each PI's use of research funds for awards within assigned portfolios. Provide high levels of client satisfaction through strong relationship management efforts. Responsible for financial and budgetary management of a primary portfolio as well as support for secondary portfolios comprised of multiple federal and non-federal sponsors. Conducts complex modeling for a PI's portfolio of grants to develop long and short term resource plans. Creates and updates financial plan(s). Adjusts reporting and analysis to accommodate sponsor requirements. Cultivates working partnerships and communications with faculty, PIs, OSP and department administrators. Mitigates risks with sponsor non-compliance. Identifies and addresses internal control issues.
- Financial Analysis and Reporting: Present financial information and recommendations thru data analysis and reporting in the development and maintenance of large, complex portfolios. Identify and influence strategic opportunities within the portfolio to stakeholders. Researches issues, evaluates the entire situation, identifies policies, procedures, and guidance material relevant to resolution and proposes a recommendation or solution. Responsible for all financial analysis and budget activities, which includes multiple budgets with various funding levels, staggered budget periods and end dates, varying overhead rates, differing policies regarding allowable costs, and management of the acquisition and loss of sponsor funding.
- Compliance and Risk Management: Monitor and certify to policy adherence for all financial activity within the portfolio by incorporating the policies of Yale and various funding agencies into the financial planning and review of expenditure activities. Advise faculty and clients of the appropriate financial policies. Maintain the fiscal integrity of the portfolio and department. Reviews and approves all expenditures with both sponsor and Yale policies and regulations in mind and ensures proper documentation and support exists to substantiate charges made to sponsored awards.
- Proposal Management and Oversight: Plans, prioritizes actions and provides direction across multiple awards and portfolios. Provides oversight counsel and expertise relative to significant impact at the business unit level. Provides a more strategic direction in the management of accounts and collaboration with account holders. Review and interpret sponsor documents (i.e., applications, award notices, and terms and conditions). Handle all activities for assigned portfolios in managing sponsored awards, ensure the proper and timely filing of sponsor documents, including submissions, modifications, extensions and all post award required reports (financial, technical, etc.).
- Collaborative and Strategic Finance Partner: Collaborate with other Business Offices, Central Offices, external institutions and sponsoring agencies to ensure the proper management of sponsor funds. Based on the funding and activities of the faculty member or client, identify and propose alternatives for allocating effort, spending pattern adjustments, and allocation methodologies.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree required. Four years of related financial experience required. Demonstrated application of financial, accounting and economic concepts.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Strong computing skills. High level knowledge of Excel.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Excellent interpersonal skills. Ability to work effectively with a wide range of individuals. Exhibits and maintains a positive attitude.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Well developed analytical, organizational and communication skills, combined with ability to be flexible and to multitask. High attention to detail.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Demonstrated ability with grant and contract administration.
Required Skill/Ability 5:
Demonstrates strong personal integrity and good judgement.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
Workday and YBT experience.
Weekend Hours Required?
Evening Hours Required?
Background Check Requirements
All candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle, DOT certification, drug testing and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent upon the successful completion of the background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Affirmative Action Statement:
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects people from sex discrimination in educational programs and activities at institutions that receive federal financial assistance. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to the University’s Title IX Coordinator, at TitleIX@yale.edu, or to the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 8th Floor, Five Post Office Square, Boston MA 02109-3921. Telephone: 617.289.0111, Fax: 617.289.0150, TDD: 800.877.8339, or Email: email@example.com.
Yale University is a tobacco-free campus