Professor and Head, Ancient and Modern Languages and Cultures
FACULTY OF HUMANITIES
DEPARTMENT OF ANCIENT AND MODERN LANGUAGES AND CULTURES
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
Ancient and Modern Languages and Cultures is a teaching and research intensive department and is central to a liberal arts education in a Faculty of Humanities. Acquiring foreign languages and learning about their cultures is the basis for achieving awareness of a shared humanity that crosses all social boundaries. The study of foreign languages and cultures is a key to enlightening minds and strengthening awareness of globalisation. Acquiring a foreign language, and the ability to translate and interpret texts in those languages, exponentially increases career opportunities, both locally and internationally, in the individual’s chosen profession. The Department offers courses in Ancient Culture Studies, Classical Hebrew, Latin, and Hellenistic Greek; Medical Terminology as well as French, German, Portuguese, and Spanish.
The incumbent will be responsible for the following:
- The strategic, academic and operational management of the Department;
- Undergraduate and postgraduate teaching;
- The promotion of the Department’s research profile;
- The promotion of excellent academic education and training;
- The promotion of engagement with relevant stakeholder communities;
- Playing an active role as an academic leader at both the national and international levels;
- Fundraising for departmental activities, such as research projects and postgraduate scholarships;
- Providing or facilitating mentorship for young academics in the Department.
- A doctorate in Contemporary European Languages (German, Spanish, French or Portuguese);
- A proven research and publication record;
- A proven record of postgraduate supervision;
- An appropriate vision for the Department;
- A proven record of excellence in teaching foreign languages.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Academic status in the relevant discipline;
- Experience in interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary collaboration;
- Experience in high-level liaison with internal and external stakeholders;
- International recognition;
- Strong leadership skills, as well as strong interpersonal communication skills;
- Strong academic administration skills;
- External/third stream fundraising experience.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- Managerial experience at a tertiary institution;
- A strong research record in one of the Department’s research specialisation fields;
- An NRF rating.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED and UMVUZO medical aid schemes and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
Applicants are requested to apply online at www.up.ac.za, and go to About UP and select Career Opportunities.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- Letter of motivation indicating suitability and competencies for the job;
- A comprehensive CV;
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact;
- Names and contact details of peer reviewers (academic and research);
- Your vision for the Department.
Shortlisted candidates will be expected to make a 10-minute presentation to the Appointments Committee on his / her vision for the Department during the interview.
By applying, candidates agree to the appointment process as set out in the relevant UP policy document. This process can be accessed at http://www.up.ac.za/services/personnel/policies/w113E.doc.
Although candidates will be appointed permanently as Professor or Associate Professor, the headship is a fixed-term appointment of four years. Preference will be given to the incumbent for re-appointment for a second term.
CLOSING DATE: 31 May 2020
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Prof Vasu Reddy, Dean, Faculty of Humanities Tel: (012) 420 2360, or e-mail: email@example.com
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 31 August 2020, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.
More searches like this
- Languages, Literature & Linguistics Senior Management & Heads of Department jobs in South Africa
- Languages, Literature & Linguistics Heads of Department jobs in South Africa
- Languages, Literature & Linguistics Academic Posts jobs in South Africa
- Languages, Literature & Linguistics Professors / Chairs jobs in South Africa