Hamad Bin Khalifa University (HBKU), a member of Qatar Foundation for Education, Science, and Community Development (QF), was founded in 2010 to continue fulfilling QF’s vision of unlocking human potential. HBKU is a homegrown research and graduate studies University that acts as a catalyst for positive transformation in Qatar and the region while having a global impact.
To develop collaborative and independent scientific research in health and life sciences and to contribute to the safety and technical expertise of laboratory operations. To train and supervise students, and junior scientists through their research projects.
Key Result Areas:
- Operate, maintain, utilize, and monitor laboratory supplies and equipment to allow research in line with the college’s goals
- Apply and coordinate laboratory safety protocols, procedures, and checks to enable continuous research activity
- Participate in activities that promote the educational and research achievement of students and junior scientists within the college
- Interact and communicate effectively and professionally with students, faculty and staff, with regard to policies, lab safety and investigative procedures
- Ensure constant supplies of common and shared laboratory consumables and ensure appropriate use of them
- Record and maintain all investigative data in notebooks (hardcopy and digital) that ensure integrity, ethics, and accurate and transparent records of experiments and investigative protocols
- Provide occasional teaching contribution in laboratory research methods and workshops to train students and postdoctoral fellows in exercise science techniques and research methods
- Develop and undertake collaborative and independent scientific research that contributes toward regional and global recognition in the research field
- Creatively design and produce innovative research based on literature and knowledge that advances exercise-oriented health and life sciences studies
- Contribute to the production of research publications in top-tier peer-reviewed scientific journals
- Prepare research proposals for funding agencies to help support research projects
- Be attentive to developing, participating in and recording activities that contribute to achieving key performance indicators (KPIs)
- Experience in keeping in line with the development of research equipment and supplies, their availability and budget
- Other reasonable tasks as assigned by supervisor
Operating Environment, Framework & Boundaries:
Work is performed in research and teaching laboratories that host faculty, postdoctoral scientists, and graduate students. Work must comply with all safety procedures and ensure adherence to ethics of university, and governmental agency regulations. Research work may, at times, be required outside of normal working hours.
Communications and Working Relationships:
- Dean – frequent contact to provide updates on ongoing activities
- Faculty and students – frequent contact to facilitate research, training on equipment, safety, procedures and compliance with data collection and reporting
- Researchers and scientists – frequent contact to keep in line with the research field, to promote collaborative research, and to share technology advancement
- University RDI – contact as needed for the development and use of core equipment and facilities in support of the colleges or individual research programs
- External partners – contact as needed to collaborate on research and complete projects
- Governmental agencies - contact as needed to obtain approvals, and establish compliance procedures
Problem Solving & Complexity:
- Evaluates, compares and relates information from across the business
- Identifies broader implications of proposed solutions across the organization
- Uses own experience and evidence from theory, and other industries and technologies to identify problems and understand situations
- Reviews existing policy to enable effective problem solving and judgment
Decision Making Authority & Responsibility:
- Exhibits sound judgment to anticipate potential implications of all decisions
- Balances benefits and risks and identifies areas of uncertainty
- Evaluates information by penetrating questions, thus ensuring complete information is available to make an informed decision
- Arrives at well-researched decisions that balance quality service and cost
- Encourages and supports appropriate risk-taking by subordinates when making decisions
Minimum Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- Master’s degree in relevant discipline
- Six years of research experience in exercise science techniques and measurements. Teaching and/or research mentoring experience is an advantage
- Knowledge in exercise science and physiological research procedures and protocols
- Knowledge of laboratory safety policies
- Recognized experience in design and completion of research projects that are relevant to the field of health and life sciences
- Experience and knowledge in the operation of exercise based scientific instruments and their required maintenance
- Excellence in written and oral English communication. Ability to draft a variety or reports, procedures, and research papers
- Ability to articulate ideas clearly and concisely.
- Arabic proficiency is an advantage
- Proficiency in MS Office, statistics and graphing software
How to Apply:
Please submit your completed application (CV, cover letter and the names of three references with their full contact information) via the following link: Click here to apply
Review of applications is expected to begin soon and continue until the position is filled. Shortlist will be called for interviews.
HBKU offers an attractive compensation package that includes a tax-free salary and additional benefits such as an education allowance, furnished accommodation, annual paid leave, air tickets and medical insurance.
HBKU, as an equal opportunity educator and employer, is committed to maintaining culturally and academically diverse staff of the highest caliber.