The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
Job Profile Title
Administrative Assistant B
Job Description Summary
Provides secretarial, administrative and other programmatic support to the Central Major Gift team.
Officers (MGOs) have the support they need both in the office and on the road, and that all interactions between the organization and others are positive and productive. The ability to multi-task, while maintaining complex schedules and managing administrative support, is essential in this position. Work autonomously in a team based environment to provide effective support in projects and programs with multiple priorities. In collaboration with the other administrative assistant on campus, the person in this position is responsible for maintaining records and reports, and for ensuring that all office policies and procedures are carried out in a professional and efficient manner. Must have the ability to meet deadlines in a goal-oriented environment. The individual will have full responsibility for independently handling work requiring complex and/or specialized knowledge. May provide direct support to a number of MGOs.
- Become the Major Gifts team’s constituency database expert and assist MGOs in using the system according to business procedures and confidentiality agreement
- Provide a professional and friendly point of contact for the Major Gifts Program for phone calls, correspondence, events, data and routine or special requests
- Through the use of online research and the University’s constituency database, provide prospect research and reports as needed
- Assist MGOs with mailing and shipping. Serve as the point person for handling internal and external mail
- Keep the Major Gift team up to date by performing timely database updates
- Close out and process all gift agreements for the Major Gifts Team
- Support MGO activity by accessing data for MGOs travelling out of the office
- Generate reports using multiple data points from Penn’s database to focus on top prospects and assess larger trends in prospect actions and giving
- Produce briefing materials for first time prospect meetings
- Strengthen the Central Major Gift team’s excellence in communication by assisting with routine communications through editing and proofreading, as needed
- Assist with development and planning for events by producing and managing target invite lists, printing name tags, developing event briefings, providing on-site event assistance, helping to implement follow up plan, and providing other assistance where needed
- Maintain and update repository of information on Penn’s Schools and Centers, including gift priorities and proposal language, gift opportunities and program materials
- Maintain and organize office files, make travel reservations, respond to inquiries that require interpretation of office/department policies and procedures; independently dispense information and respond to requests on University programs
- Stay up to date on MGO actions by reading all contact reports
High School diploma required and three to five years administrative experience in a related setting or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Excellent organizational, interpersonal and technical skills. Thorough and comprehensive knowledge of office procedures, practices and methods. Ability to work independently, prioritize competing tasks and pay close attention to details. Must be able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously, priorities workload, and manage up. Willingness to learn and apply new technologies as needed. High level of computing skills necessary, including Word, e-mail, Excel, PowerPoint and other Microsoft programs. Experience using multiple data points to produce and manipulate useful data sets.
Please provide a resume and cover letter for consideration. Please upload all documents in the Resume/CV section of the application prior to submitting.
Job Location - City, State
Department / School
Development and Alumni Relations
$17.58 - $31.65
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.